Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Post by longviewmo »

Does it only allow one sign-up per street address? It seems weird that it's blocking all of these when there's a field for apartment number on the sign-up.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

longviewmo wrote:Does it only allow one sign-up per street address? It seems weird that it's blocking all of these when there's a field for apartment number on the sign-up.
Further up the thread, ChandraNH said she and her husband both registered at their house and they both counted.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

So if I buy a hose from someone that has done the $300 option does it roll over to me.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Mayor Sly James said in an interview that the northland and south KC will be part of phase II.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCMax wrote:Mayor Sly James said in an interview that the northland and south KC will be part of phase II.
That might be a while. If I recall, the first phase won't complete until end of 2013 - and Google has had several delays just to get to this point.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KC got a new Googlism term that has caught on fire in less than a day: fiberhood. STL is known for asking what high school you went to, KC may become about what fiberhood you grew up in.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

For those of you who are concerned that your neighborhood is lagging, I'd suggest getting touch with your free gigabit recipient and strategize with them about how they use their public outreach network.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Ok, West Plaza South, we are going to spend the $300 and install the cheap fiber in the rental we own over there.
TfromKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by TfromKC »

Spoke with someone from Google. If you live downtown in condo/apt, go ahead and register your individual unit #. It will say it can't find your address, and then ask you to "submit a request". You'll enter in a little more info, and there is room to send a comment. I would let them know you are in a condo/apt and that you want each individual unit to be counted. Anyway, Google is aware of the problem, and supposedly if you submit the above request, in a day or two you will get a message from Google to complete the pre-register process.

Regardless, we need as many people as possible who live in these multi-unit buildings to submit their individual units, only way we'll get to our #. So spread the word!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I did read in the terms of service that you are not allowed to operate a server from your fiber connection. It is a bit of a downer for those hoping the fiber would be a stepping stone to a business for the garage tinkerers. I understand why they say this, but I don't think you should have to get permission for every type of "server" that you would run. Perhaps they can clarify this to be a specific type of server, but you can bend "server" to mean a lot of different things. Does this keep you from using services like Subsonic or Pogoplug?
Google Fiber is intended as a residential Internet service. Our Terms of Service prohibit running a server.
and
Unless you have a written agreement with Google Fiber permitting you do so, you should not host any type of server using your Google Fiber connection...
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Volker South and South Hyde Park have met their goals.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

By my count, there are 9 fiberhoods with 8 or fewer preregistrants to go. Central Hyde Park is 2 people away. Valentine is 1 away.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

chaglang wrote:By my count, there are 9 fiberhoods with 8 or fewer preregistrants to go. Central Hyde Park is 2 people away. Valentine is 1 away.
Where do you find out how many more are needed?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Disney/ESPN, Fox, Turner And HBO In Talks On Google Fiber TV

http://www.multichannel.com/article/487 ... ber_TV.php
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

earthling wrote:
earthling wrote:How big of a deal is this? Over 1800 news sources already carrying the story about this in KC...

http://tinyurl.com/cgwfymf

This is magnitudes greater exposure than the All Star game.
Over 2800 sources reporting this now. This is not common as civic announcements go - massively huge exposure.

Over 8000 sources now reporting Google fiber.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

In KCK Hanover Heights, North KUMed, and Rushton (South of KU med) have all met their quotas. There are several other hoods close
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Tried to stop by the command center over lunch and it was crazy so will try another time. Half a dozen tv station vans, parking lot only for valet, State Line sectioned off and 'event' parking was several blocks away with a shuttle running.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

kboish wrote:In KCK Hanover Heights, North KUMed, and Rushton (South of KU med) have all met their quotas. There are several other hoods close
KCMO has 15 hoods at or above the quota, and 9 more in the single digits. Of note is that "Country Club Plaza" sits at 0 and only needs 20. This must be due to the problems mentioned earlier with apartments. I'm sure they could surpass 20 in a few minutes if they weren't having problems.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^I hope it means clustered apt/condo buildings will get it by default and does not need pre-registration. I tried plugging the address to other condo/apt buildings in Plaza Westport fiberhood and none would work, however single family homes did work.