Creamery Building sold, to be developed

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Creamery Building sold, to be developed

Post by KCMax »

Freighthouse District building in Kansas City sells to developer
The Creamery Building near Kansas City’s Freighthouse District — one of the late Tom Levitt’s properties — has sold to Garrison Cos....

Hassenflu, whose company converted the Cold Storage building in the River Market into lofts, plans to move his company’s 10 full-time employees from the Cold Storage building to the Creamery Building at 2100 Central St. and convert other portions into market-rate residential units.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Creamery Building sold, to be developed

Post by FangKC »

Finally.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

I cringed when i heard "cold storage" but then breathed a sigh of relief when i heard "market rate".

No more Cold Storages for KC. Ever.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

ColumbusParkian wrote:I cringed when i heard "cold storage" but then breathed a sigh of relief when i heard "market rate".

No more Cold Storages for KC. Ever.

For the record, most of the Low/Moderate income apartments in downtown are managed well, and you would have trouble distinguishing them from their market rate neighbors. In fact, fully one-third of the apartments in the RiverMarket are tax credit lofts, and their tenants make great neighbors.

The Cold Storage Lofts is a textbook management disaster. Whoever is making the decisions there seems determined to make it the most screwed up and negative apartment operation in the city. And they are doing it in a neighborhood which would allow them to have a successful and model operation if they gave a simple, flying shit.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Didn't a new management company just take over for Cold Storage Lofts? To be fair, it has always sounded like a few of the tenants there has given the whole place a bad name. Is it really managements fault when a drunk friend of a tenant commits suicide?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

mgh7676 wrote:Didn't a new management company just take over for Cold Storage Lofts? To be fair, it has always sounded like a few of the tenants there has given the whole place a bad name. Is it really managements fault when a drunk friend of a tenant commits suicide?
Sorry, but it has nothing to do with the death that occurred, and the reviews and observations on the new management company are specifically what is giving such concern. It has gone from bad to worse.

It's a scary uphill battle to turn around a building once cracks form due to poor tenant screening, and a lack of management and maintenance. The good tenants leave and your left with only those who will accept the nature of the property, or have no choice.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Two historic redevelopment projects proposed for KC Freight House District

Jordon Ringel, a developer who divides his time between Kansas City and Dallas, wants to renovate the two-story Pendergast Wholesale Liquor Co. building at 2100 Central St. into a restaurant, bar and office space.

Gary Hassenflu, who’s last major local project was renovating the former Cold Storage building in the River Market into apartments, wants to convert the three-story former Meriden Creamery Co. building at 2100 Central into office space and 14 market-rate apartments.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... pment.html
The three-story building at 2100 Central St. would become the new headquarters for Hassenflu’s development company, now at 2020 Broadway.

The project would create 14 market-rate apartments, plus a top-story four-bedroom penthouse.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... -into.html
Kansas City developer Vince Bryant said he was redeveloping the building for its new owners, who acquired it from another local developer, Gary Hassenflu.
Bryant is also redeveloping the Corrigan Building in the Crossroads.
ThorsteinVeblen
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ThorsteinVeblen »

I think that will be a good use for the Creamery building and adding more office space in that area is great for live/work. I understand the Corrigan Building still has two tenants (parole office and church) whose leases run until next summer. That means work will likely not start until sometime in late 2014. It's too bad because the building looks great for lofts and it is in a good location for walking to restaurants in the Crossroads or P&L.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the last biz journal article about the corrigan confirms residential: "nine floors of apartments over ground-floor commercial"
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

here's the latest creamery plan.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/30/45 ... losed.html
A redevelopment plan for the historic Creamery Building at 2100 Central St. previously approved for a tax abatement by the agency has been changed from an apartment conversion to a mostly office redevelopment. Developer Vincent Bryant has taken over the deal. His $4.5 million plan calls for first floor retail and office, and offices in the remainder of the four-story building.
ThorsteinVeblen
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ThorsteinVeblen »

I don't think the existing tenants are both ground floor. The other tenant, a law office, wasn't allowed to renew their lease so they're out. Also, I can't imagine tenants wanting to rent in a building whose ground floor anchor tenant is a parole office. Based on conversations with neighboring commercial businesses the owner has indicated that the church and parole office have to go before renovation can begin. I think they want to get in a restaurant/art gallery/commercial tenant more conducive to the surrounding area and that would better suite the prospective renters.

The good news, however, is that there are two empty surface parking lots behind and across from the building.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

current status:

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

SFS Architecture sets up shop in newly renovated Creamery Building

http://tinyurl.com/q9w9dbd