Colonial Court apartments near Plaza to be redeveloped

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Colonial Court apartments near Plaza to be redeveloped

Post by KCMax »

Redevelopment planned for old Colonial Court apartments near Plaza

Purchased by Price Development, the team behind 46 Penn and the State Line development near KU Med. Not much detail into what they plan other than they want to do residential.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Colonial Court apartments near Plaza to be redeveloped

Post by kcjak »

Save our Colonial Courts!

I'm glad to see someone with Price's track record get ahold of this property and nice that the highrise zoning remains intact...let's see what they come up with.
jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jasty5 »

2 1/2 acres is pretty big, the 51st and main development is only 2. I'd love to see instead of just a solid block of apartments, the development include some mixed use integrated into it and follow the south plaza model along main street. Maybe some neighborhood service type retail at the corner of 46th for all of the north plaza residents, or maybe a few office condos to diversify the development. You could do some back in parking (think 55th and Oak in Brookside) for the retail/office space.

I've always thought the end game for the plaza to Westport span should be a continuous mixed use environment instead of just a block of residential in between the two commercial districts. Make it more like the upper east side of Manhattan (continuous mixed use) and less segmented areas of only commercial and residential. I think this would maximize real estate values in the area and create a more interesting, safer and well maintained environment.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Fencing is going up around Colonial Court today - looks like demolition may be imminent. Has there been any news about the proposed development?
ThorsteinVeblen
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ThorsteinVeblen »

Interesting. I was at the office over the weekend and noticed there were no cars in the parking lot and hadn't been for two days. Sounds like they must've gotten everyone out? Surprised they haven't publicly released a plan though.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I spoke with someone involved with some other developments in the North Plaza area who said it would be "luxury apartments" being built at this spot. No other details at this time.