NKC Nano-Brewery

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
catfish1812
Strip mall
Strip mall

NKC Nano-Brewery

Post by catfish1812 »

The other day I spoke with someone who is planning on opening a new nano brewery in NKC. I believe they have a space somewhere on Swift and are currently ordering equipment and constructing a taproom. The opening date is sometime in December.

Good news for the KC beer scene. I've been hoping some small breweries would start popping up around town.
smh
Supporter

Re: NKC Nano-Brewery

Post by smh »

I really need a place to fill my growlers. It is one of the only amenities this town lacks.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

pash wrote:75th Street Brewery fills growlers. They even have a buy-X-get-one-free program. Pretty sure McCoy's does them too.

And it's not quite the same thing, but Missouri passed a law this summer that allows any bar that sells 20+ beers to sell you beer to go in containers of 32 oz. or bigger. So if you get really thirsty, pop in somewhere and see if they'll fill some growlers for you. ...
I should have said I really need a good place to fill my growlers. I don't mind either 75th or McCoy's beer, but it isn't worth filling a growler. I need some Flat Branch quality or better, please.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

smh wrote:
pash wrote:75th Street Brewery fills growlers. They even have a buy-X-get-one-free program. Pretty sure McCoy's does them too.

And it's not quite the same thing, but Missouri passed a law this summer that allows any bar that sells 20+ beers to sell you beer to go in containers of 32 oz. or bigger. So if you get really thirsty, pop in somewhere and see if they'll fill some growlers for you. ...
I should have said I really need a good place to fill my growlers. I don't mind either 75th or McCoy's beer, but it isn't worth filling a growler. I need some Flat Branch quality or better, please.
Ha! That was my thought on 75th and McCoys, I was going to mention them but didn't for this reason. I've either become more picky over the last decade or their quality has declined. Has any one asked at Flying Saucer with the above quoted bill printed out in hand?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

droopy wrote: Has any one asked at Flying Saucer with the above quoted bill printed out in hand?
No, but perhaps I should. I live right down the street. I'm just itching for a good micro(nano)-brewery that makes beer so delicious that I don't need to buy six-packs anymore. A place where I know that, if I need beer for home consumption, I go to this brewery and get a fill before the weekend starts. It would be outstanding if this NKC place could fit the bill.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

smh wrote:
droopy wrote: Has any one asked at Flying Saucer with the above quoted bill printed out in hand?
No, but perhaps I should. I live right down the street. I'm just itching for a good micro(nano)-brewery that makes beer so delicious that I don't need to buy six-packs anymore. A place where I know that, if I need beer for home consumption, I go to this brewery and get a fill before the weekend starts. It would be outstanding if this NKC place could fit the bill.
I asked them on FB with a link to a local news article and they never replied to me. Bastards.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I think this might be the place heading into NKC. I wonder how likely it is this is actually going to happen. So many "breweries" have websites or FB pages and then simply disappear.

http://bigripbrewing.com/
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

smh wrote:I think this might be the place heading into NKC. I wonder how likely it is this is actually going to happen. So many "breweries" have websites or FB pages and then simply disappear.

I agree, that looks to be the place. This is an important page on the website (dated 10/16/12) http://bigripbrewing.com/2012/10/ttb-li ... rew-check/

This is a topic I'm familiar with...breweries are often "started" by dreamers with a beer passion that don't have the resources or know-how to navigate the licensing process. Anytime I see or hear about a "new brewery" and the talk is about recipes and offerings but they haven't started the legal process yet I lose interest in the conversation. (where's Wilderness Brewing these days?) It seems this group is aware of the necessary steps and hitting it hard so I am hopeful for these guys. I'll be a supporter if they pull it off \:D/
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

droopy wrote:
smh wrote:I think this might be the place heading into NKC. I wonder how likely it is this is actually going to happen. So many "breweries" have websites or FB pages and then simply disappear.

I agree, that looks to be the place. This is an important page on the website (dated 10/16/12) http://bigripbrewing.com/2012/10/ttb-li ... rew-check/

This is a topic I'm familiar with...breweries are often "started" by dreamers with a beer passion that don't have the resources or know-how to navigate the licensing process. Anytime I see or hear about a "new brewery" and the talk is about recipes and offerings but they haven't started the legal process yet I lose interest in the conversation. (where's Wilderness Brewing these days?) It seems this group is aware of the necessary steps and hitting it hard so I am hopeful for these guys. I'll be a supporter if they pull it off \:D/
Totally agree. Although I did hear recently that Wilderness is close to leasing a space in Lee's Summit (making it unlikely I'll visit very often). I hope Wilderness gets off the ground b/c I gave money to their Kickstarter. But more so, I hope this Big Rip gets off the ground because it will be closer to my hood.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Here is where Big Rip is going--adjoining KC Smokeshack BBQ (according to the Big Rip website): http://goo.gl/maps/oUSzo

That's right off Highway 9 and you know what that means: I CAN RIDE MY BIKE AND DRINK BEER AND THEN RIDE MY BIKE.

I'm pumped.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

smh wrote:Here is where Big Rip is going--adjoining KC Smokeshack BBQ (according to the Big Rip website): http://goo.gl/maps/oUSzo

That's right off Highway 9 and you know what that means: I CAN RIDE MY BIKE AND DRINK BEER AND THEN RIDE MY BIKE.

I'm pumped.
\:D/
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/04/41 ... beque.html
While Kansas City SmokeShack has about two-thirds of the building at the southern end of Swift Avenue, the remaining space is going to two self-described beer nerds and friends.

Josh Collins and Kipp Feldt are setting up The Big Rip Brewing Co. They plan to open a production facility and tap room there in May.

The Big Rip Brewing Co., at 216 E. Ninth Ave., will have two signature beers - The Great Conjunction (a cherry Hefeweizen) and Hathor’s (a sweet brown ale). Other selections will include include Irish Red Ale, Milk Stout, Banana Cream Ale, Oatmeal Raisin Cookie ale, and Black Lager. It also plans to serve wine, some spirits and a gluten-free raspberry beer made from sorghum.

It will not serve food but will let customers bring in something to eat, including barbecue from neighboring SmokeShack.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/04/41 ... beque.html
While Kansas City SmokeShack has about two-thirds of the building at the southern end of Swift Avenue, the remaining space is going to two self-described beer nerds and friends.

Josh Collins and Kipp Feldt are setting up The Big Rip Brewing Co. They plan to open a production facility and tap room there in May.

The Big Rip Brewing Co., at 216 E. Ninth Ave., will have two signature beers - The Great Conjunction (a cherry Hefeweizen) and Hathor’s (a sweet brown ale). Other selections will include include Irish Red Ale, Milk Stout, Banana Cream Ale, Oatmeal Raisin Cookie ale, and Black Lager. It also plans to serve wine, some spirits and a gluten-free raspberry beer made from sorghum.

It will not serve food but will let customers bring in something to eat, including barbecue from neighboring SmokeShack.
Sounds like a lot of fruit flavored and sweet tasting beer.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I tried their beers a few weeks ago. The sweet brown was not particularly sweet IMO, more of a legit standard brown. The cherry hefe was solid. I also had the opportunity to try a porter that was showing promise and an APA that was quite good. Looking forward to them opening soon because I really miss getting my growlers filled.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

smh wrote:I tried their beers a few weeks ago. The sweet brown was not particularly sweet IMO, more of a legit standard brown. The cherry hefe was solid. I also had the opportunity to try a porter that was showing promise and an APA that was quite good. Looking forward to them opening soon because I really miss getting my growlers filled.

Agree SMH. All five samples were pretty solid.

I have never been very pleased with the fruit enhanced beers I have sampled and I was very skeptical about the Cherry Hefe.

I have to report that it was my favorite of the group, and I have a simmering obsession with enjoying it again.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

loftguy wrote:
smh wrote:I tried their beers a few weeks ago. The sweet brown was not particularly sweet IMO, more of a legit standard brown. The cherry hefe was solid. I also had the opportunity to try a porter that was showing promise and an APA that was quite good. Looking forward to them opening soon because I really miss getting my growlers filled.

I have never been very pleased with the fruit enhanced beers I have sampled and I was very skeptical about the Cherry Hefe.

I have to report that it was my favorite of the group, and I have a simmering obsession with enjoying it again.
It was much better than I was expecting. Also, I didn't realize you were there, I'd have said hello!
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

smh wrote:
loftguy wrote:

It was much better than I was expecting. Also, I didn't realize you were there, I'd have said hello!
Same here. Did we have our heads in the suds, or something?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

loftguy wrote:
smh wrote:
Same here. Did we have our heads in the suds, or something?
I did have beer on the brain.