Non Glamorous Pictures While Snooping Around P&L

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Non Glamorous Pictures While Snooping Around P&L

Post by PumpkinStalker »

On the Urban Tour, I took the opportunity to explore some floors of the KC P&L.  Pretty dilapidated while "in-between opportunities"...

Way up in the top of the building were blueprints for Bartle Hall and various city buildings.  Strange place to store them.  Just a big mess of boxes filled with them.

About 10 years ago my friend Brian gave me a boost to get over this wall, open the door from the inside to let him in.  We went up a vertical latter up to a catwalk suspended in the peak.  In the middle of the suspended catwalk was another ladder that went straight up to the very very peak of what I call the "nipple" of the P&L.  Being glass, and summertime, it was about a few degrees above 150 on the platform.  The glass up there is really thick and wavy.  You would think a great view, but no.  Clarity was as good as looking through shower door glass.

Now they put this fence above the door to prevent someone from climbing over.

This is looking out the window at one of the decorative setbacks.

schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Non Glamorous Pictures While Snooping Around P&L

Post by schugg »

thanks for the pics pumkin. was it a lil scary up there?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Awesome look at some of that "behind the sences" stuff! 
KC is the way to be!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

schugg wrote: thanks for the pics pumkin. was it a lil scary up there?
Actually, yes.  I bet there were 3 people in the entire building.  The security guard on level one, and the real estate agents on floor 27.  I went up to 30, then you get in a super small elevator around the corner that takes you from 31-33.  It's slightly larger than a pantry and shakes reminding me of the St.L Arch.  I stopped at random floors to look around, but all the perimeter offices in areas that had windows had shut doors, and it was PITCH BLACK.  I used my cell phone light to see and find switches hoping not to trip over busted cabinetry in the process.

Sigh, the things I do for this site.  Not really.  It's all for me.  I'm one of those trespassing urban explorers I suppose.  It's all for curiosity and to learn about what's going on, not to vandalize like other idiots.

Now, if I could just get into the 8th St. Tunnel.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

You can.
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Way up in the top of the building were blueprints for Bartle Hall and various city buildings.  Strange place to store them.  Just a big mess of boxes filled with them.
One of the architects for the original Bartle Hall is Ted Seligson. His Architecture firm was in the Power and Light building.  His firm also competed for the design of the expansion (the 4 pylon part of Bartle Hall). They didn't get the job, but I did get to see their design for it.  Their design called for structural supports on the four corners of the new building and it didn't interrupt the clear floorplan of the original bartle hall. It wasn't as iconic as the current bartle hall with the four "sky stations" but it did stay true to his original design detail of uninterrupted floor space.  BNIM is also housed in the Power and Light building and they were the ones who designed the four pylon part of the building, along with HNTB.  So the Power and Light building probably has a bunch of plans lying around the place!
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

This is why there is a decline in density in the downtown. If these floors that PumpkinStalkersaw on his trip to the top of this building were turned into apartments and/or condos. This would bring the neaded people to fill the viods in the downtown. 
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Actually, yes.  I bet there were 3 people in the entire building.  The security guard on level one, and the real estate agents on floor 27.  I went up to 30, then you get in a super small elevator around the corner that takes you from 31-33.  It's slightly larger than a pantry and shakes reminding me of the St.L Arch.  I stopped at random floors to look around, but all the perimeter offices in areas that had windows had shut doors, and it was PITCH BLACK.  I used my cell phone light to see and find switches hoping not to trip over busted cabinetry in the process.

Sigh, the things I do for this site.  Not really.  It's all for me.  I'm one of those trespassing urban explorers I suppose.  It's all for curiosity and to learn about what's going on, not to vandalize like other idiots.

Now, if I could just get into the 8th St. Tunnel.
thanks for the pics. if you ever make it in the 8th street tunnel take lots of pics and tell me how the hell you get in there!!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Stockton wrote: You can.
Nope, you can't.

It's behind a chainlink fence that is wrapped with chains and a padlock.  True, you could cut the chainlink with a wire snips, but that's not my style.  If someone happens to leave it open, well, I'll be there.

I periodically check it to see if the padlock is still on the fence.
schugg wrote: thanks for the pics. if you ever make it in the 8th street tunnel take lots of pics and tell me how the hell you get in there!!
Go to the Missouri Valley Room at the downtown library.  Type in the local research database "8th St. Tunnel" and it will lead you to a vertical file.  Give the ID number to the Librarian, and they will pull the file.  It's contents lead you right there.  :-)

I love the Missouri Valley Room.
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Nope, you can't.

It's behind a chainlink fence that is wrapped with chains and a padlock.  True, you could cut the chainlink with a wire snips, but that's not my style.  If someone happens to leave it open, well, I'll be there.

Heh, well, the last time I looked, one side of the gate looked like maybe it would sorta, I don't know, lift off its hinges?  But were one to get past that point (uh, in theory) the entrance to the tunnel itself would still be guarded by a locked, commercial grade fire door.

I've heard it's possible to arrange small group tours of the tunnel but I'm not sure who one would contact for that.  Possibly DST Realty.

Regardless there are lots of urban explorer pictures of the tunnel's interior online, so I'm not dying of curiosity to see it myself.  I believe these date to 2-3 years ago, when the entrance must not have been as effectively secured.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

HalcyonKC wrote: Heh, well, the last time I looked, one side of the gate looked like maybe it would sorta, I don't know, lift off its hinges?  But were one to get past that point (uh, in theory) the entrance to the tunnel itself would still be guarded by a locked, commercial grade fire door.

I've heard it's possible to arrange small group tours of the tunnel but I'm not sure who one would contact for that.  Possibly DST Realty.

Regardless there are lots of urban explorer pictures of the tunnel's interior online, so I'm not dying of curiosity to see it myself.  I believe these date to 2-3 years ago, when the entrance must not have been as effectively secured.
Tried that too.  I have heard that you can arrange tours as well.  I already have a small group of friends interested in trying that angle with me this summer.  DST installed lighting in the tunnel.  And you are correct, there are many Urban Explorer websites out there that have pictures of kids getting into it, but I'm sure they ruined it for people like me by leaving the door wide open.

Not sure what the actual door to the tunnel looks like as we speak, but in the 2-3 year old pictures in the vertical file at the library, it's a wooden planked door with a cheap hardware store bought locking mechanism.  Looks easy to breach.
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

The wooden plank door has been replaced by a very substantial, modern steel door.  It's similar to the types of doors that guard the entrances to fire escape stairwells in newer commercial buildings.  In some of the urban explorer pictures, you can see the work in progress at the entrance where they were fortifying the entrance with the frame for the newer door.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

These photos of the P&L looker sadder than the Chrysler Building did 25 years ago when it was in disrepair.  Hope they can fix it up and put in some modern lighting devices.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

HalcyonKC wrote: The wooden plank door has been replaced by a very substantial, modern steel door.  It's similar to the types of doors that guard the entrances to fire escape stairwells in newer commercial buildings.  In some of the urban explorer pictures, you can see the work in progress at the entrance where they were fortifying the entrance with the frame for the newer door.
Interesting.  Sounds more and more like the legal and diplomatic "I really enjoy history can you take me for a tour" method is the only way.  Figure if I dress nice, leverage my belonging to Historic Kansas City Foundation, a former employee of Argus, a DST subsidiary, etc etc...maybe, just maybe???
moderne wrote: These photos of the P&L looker sadder than the Chrysler Building did 25 years ago when it was in disrepair.  Hope they can fix it up and put in some modern lighting devices.
Indeed, I should have taken a few more pics.  The old airconditioners that line the inside walls were all ripped out.  Cabinets in pieces everywhere, awful ugly teal carpet, damaged drywall, falling ceiling tiles, etc.  Needs a lot of work.  But there is no shortage of people in this city that love that building.  Eventually, it will get what it deserves.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Nope, you can't.

I wouldn't have said you can if you can't. Of course, it does not involve damaging anything.
Last edited by Stockton on Mon May 07, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.