2012 Election

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 2012 Election

Post by KCMax »

Eric Cantor and John Aschcroft endorses Romney. Here comes the establishment! Romney won't win big on Super Tuesday, but he'll win enough to make it pretty much impossible for anyone to overtake him in delegates. He is going to grind this out, but the question will be, with Super PAC money flowing in, will Santorum and/or Gingrich take this all the way to the convention even though they can't win? Or will they bow out gracefully?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Since many of the delegates will be awarded proportionally there is a good chance that all 4 will go to the convention and none will have an outright majority. They may not win the nom but all will try and affect the platform and/or be awarded some time for a primetime speach.

I do think the nom is now Mitt's to lose. His success in defeating Obama will depend on his ability to have us focus on the economy. True, the economy is now showing some type of rebound but the argument can be made about how Obama made it worse in the past and how Mitt can make it better in the future. Unless something happens with Iran/Israel the GOP has lost the foreign policy issues to Obama. Social issues are a loser to either side and both should steer clear. Of course Santorum will keep beating that drum no matter what.

Cantor was a surprise endorsement to me. Given how he has made John's Boehner's life hell these past few years the surprise isn't that he endorsed Mitt, just that he did it now.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul to visit JoCo before the KS caucuses

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/03/34 ... ps-in.html
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:His success in defeating Obama will depend on his ability to have us focus on the economy.
I agree, also will depend on how hard the Obama campaign can nail his moderate record and turn off the base.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Sorry, you're right. I should have said not Obama himself or his campaign directly, but I think it might be an appropriate strategy for PACs.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

pash wrote:I really doubt that's a strategy that would work well for Obama. If Romney gets the nomination, this election will be more a battle for the center than probably any election since Bush-Clinton in 1992. The far right isn't going to be enthused about Romney, but neither will the far left be as keen on Obama as they were four years ago. Winning the general election will be a flashback to the good old days, when it was all about pulling as many middle-of-the-road voters away from the other guy and over to your side as possible.

The far right and far left are pretty much irrelevant. Acknowledging the fact that both groups are materially insginificant, neither will ever vote across party lines anyway. Far right will always vote republican and far left will always vote democratic unless, and it's a rare occurrence, a third party candidate comes along that is even somewhat compelling. Only happened once in modern times and that was Perot.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Highlander wrote:The far right and far left are pretty much irrelevant. Acknowledging the fact that both groups are materially insginificant, neither will ever vote across party lines anyway. Far right will always vote republican and far left will always vote democratic unless, and it's a rare occurrence, a third party candidate comes along that is even somewhat compelling. Only happened once in modern times and that was Perot.
The trick is to get them to stay home because they can't stand the guy their party nominates. If there's a tight race, and a percentage of the base stays home because they hate their candidate, that could potentially be significant either way. At this point, I don't think the far left is as upset at Obama as the far right might be at Romney for several things he did as governor.

Either way, though, I don't see how Obama loses this unless something dramatic happens between now and November. If the economy worsens, or if Israel (or, heaven forbid, the US) attacks Iran, or gas prices get too high, Obama could be weaker. Right now he looks pretty strong.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I'll caution that three months ago Obama looked weak, and six months ago he looked about dead in the water. So these things can change quickly, and we haven't even started the general election campaign yet, when most people begin to pay attention.

But yea, I feel fairly confident at this point. George Will brought up a good point last Sunday (when he was arguing the GOP should quit focusing on the Presidency and focus on keeping the House and winning the Senate), when he said that the electoral map just doesn't add up for Romney. Even if Romney wins all the states McCain won, plus Indiana, plus North Carolina, plus Virginia, plus New Hampshire, plus Ohio, plus Florida, he still loses.

You can try to play out scenarios in which Romney wins, and its possible, but he faces a big uphill battle.

http://www.270towin.com/
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

mean wrote:
Highlander wrote:The far right and far left are pretty much irrelevant. Acknowledging the fact that both groups are materially insginificant, neither will ever vote across party lines anyway. Far right will always vote republican and far left will always vote democratic unless, and it's a rare occurrence, a third party candidate comes along that is even somewhat compelling. Only happened once in modern times and that was Perot.
The trick is to get them to stay home because they can't stand the guy their party nominates. If there's a tight race, and a percentage of the base stays home because they hate their candidate, that could potentially be significant either way. At this point, I don't think the far left is as upset at Obama as the far right might be at Romney for several things he did as governor.

Either way, though, I don't see how Obama loses this unless something dramatic happens between now and November. If the economy worsens, or if Israel (or, heaven forbid, the US) attacks Iran, or gas prices get too high, Obama could be weaker. Right now he looks pretty strong.
I think the far right is a pretty motivated group in general and in this election, disdain for Obama, not necessarily support for Romney, provides even more motivation. I just don't think there are enough of them so that it really matters.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Rush Limbaugh Bust Planned For Mo. Capitol

http://www.kmbc.com/politics/30614423/d ... 7730356831

I can't believe that Rush Limbaugh would ever be considered for placement in the Hall of Famous Missourians--especially in light of the recent controversy over his remarks about the young woman giving testimony to Congress about employer health plans covering contraceptives. But the real shocking part of this is that Rush Limbaugh would be honored at all, especially when you consider that these Missourians are not:

Pierre Laclede, and Auguste Chouteau (founded St. Louis), Francois Chouteau (founded Kansas City); Daniel Boone, William Clark; newspaper publisher Joseph Pulitzer; General Richard Myers (former Chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff), Sam Walton (Wal-Mart founder); Yogi Berra, Satchel Paige, Casey Stengel, Lou Brock, George Brett, Len Dawson, Leon and Michael Spinks, and Tom Watson; theatre producer David Merrick (11 Tony Awards); directors John Huston (2-Academy Awards), and Robert Altman (Honorary Academy Award); actors Dianne Wiest (2-Academy Awards), Jane Wyman (1-Academy Award), Shelly Winters (2-Academy Awards), Joan Crawford (1-Academy Award), Jean Harlow, Agnes Morehead (1-Emmy Award), Steve McQueen, Doris Roberts (5-Emmy Awards), Ruth Warrick (Emmy for Lifetime Achievement), Dick Van Dyke (5-Emmy Awards), Geraldine Page (1- Academy Award), Kathleen Turner, Marsha Mason, Chris Cooper (1-Academy Award), Kevin Kline (1-Academy Award), Brad Pitt (3-time Academy Award nominee), William Powell, Wallace Beery (1- Academy Award), Noah Beery, and Vincent Price; comedian and civil rights activist Dick Gregory; composer Virgil Thompson (won Pulitzer Prize) and musicians Kay Thompson, Ike Turner (1=Grammy Award) and Tina Turner (8-Grammy Awards), Chuck Berry (Grammy for Lifetime Achievement), Sheryl Crow (9-Grammy Awards), Michael McDonald (5-Grammy Awards), David Sanborn (3-Grammy Awards), Bennie Moten, Big Joe Turner, Coleman Hawkins, and Count Basie; cartoonist Mort Walker; and writers Maya Angelou (Medal of Freedom winner), William S. Burroughs, T.S. Eliot (Nobel Prize for Literature), Tennessee Williams (2-Pulitzer Prizes), Eugene Field, Jane Smiley (1-Pulitzer Prize), Sara Teasdale (1-Pulitzer Prize) and Calvin Trillin.

If Mr. Limbaugh is going to be commemorated with a bust for being a broadcaster, then why not Missouri natives Bob Costas and Joe Garagiola, Sr.?

What are the criteria to be in the Hall of Famous Missourians? Emmett Kelly, the sad clown is in the Hall, yet many Emmy, Tony, Academy Award, Pulitzer and Nobel prize winners aren’t.

Additionally, I personally don’t think anyone should be in the Missouri Hall of Fame until after their death. But certainly, Tina Turner, Maya Angelou, and Tennessee Williams deserve to be there well before Rush Limbaugh.

The other question that I will pose is shouldn’t Missouri voters decide who should be in the Hall of Famous Missourians after a nomination process? I know the Limbaugh family has strong political connections in Missouri. I would hate to think that Mr. Limbaugh is in the Hall just because his family has the power to get him there, and in front of so many other deserving Missourians that are not recognized.

When I look at the list of those in the Hall, it seems kind of random.

http://www.house.mo.gov/famous.aspx?fm=display

I love Bob Barker as much as anyone, but should a game show host be enshrined in bust before someone who has won Nobel and Pulitzer prizes?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Residents can register disappointment and complaint to:

Speaker of the House, Steven Tilley, who submitted the nomination.

Steven.Tilley@house.mo.gov

Governor Nixon's Office:

http://governor.mo.gov/contact/

You can lookup your representative at:

http://www.house.mo.gov/

You can look up state senators at:

http://www.senate.mo.gov/
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCMax wrote:I'll caution that three months ago Obama looked weak, and six months ago he looked about dead in the water.
I dunno. It's true that the scuttlebutt and media consensus was, "Ooooh, Obama is weak!" but I wasn't really buying it even then.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Santorum to spread message in Lenexa on Wednesday.

http://20poundsofheadlines.wordpress.co ... wednesday/
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCMax wrote:Santorum to spread
:shock:
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

FangKC wrote:Residents can register disappointment and complaint to:

Speaker of the House, Steven Tilley, who submitted the nomination.

Steven.Tilley@house.mo.gov

Tilley is from Perryville, just down the road a piece from Cape Girardeau. Limbaugh's are still roaming all over the hills down there. He's pretty big stuff for a homeboy, and he has carried the Republican flame high, if not well.

Can't let simple shame deter continued support of family.

And Fang, you do realize that you're recommending two afikinmercan womens and a gay alchoholic (though decidedly southern) boy?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I don't see what the big deal is. Rush Limbaugh, like him or not, is a famous Missourian, just like Bob Berdella or James Earl Ray.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Ron Paul will hold a rally in Lawrence Friday night at the Lied Center.