Milwaukee Deli / Pizza 51 Downtown

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Milwaukee Deli / Pizza 51 Downtown

Post by KCPowercat »

This was brought up in the 900 Baltimore thread but felt it needed it's own "scene" topic.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/05/39 ... cosby.html

Seems like a great addition.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Milwaukee Deli / Pizza 51 Downtown

Post by earthling »

Looking forward to trying the deli and also great to have p51 downtown.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I'm pretty excited about this place as well. For one, I am all about deli sandwiches, but I'm more interested in seeing how this full-service bar plays in. I've always liked the idea of a place that is very pedestrian dinerish deli during the day that turns over into a relaxed but nicer bar atmosphere with some kind of light entertainment at night. I think there is some movie I'm thinking of that has put that idea in my head.

good luck to them.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

they've arrived on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mildelikc
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Man, the old world pub feel of this place is fantastic in a distressed way and the upstairs seating with arched ways is a nice touch. The ceiling restoration might be the next best in KC after Union Station. Cannot believe this was slated to be torn down.

I was expecting a counter deli but it's more of a sitdown pub with table service and full bar. Pretty good deli sammys (reuben/pastramis/paninis) but not as stacked as I'd expect for the price. The german potato salad is served cold (would prefer hot) and needs more vinegar to be called german but it didn't suck. Overall great spot and food good enough to make it - was busy over lunch today.

Forgot to ask... do they have a happy hour? This has a nice comfy cozy pub feel to hang out in for HH. One of the best additions to downtown lately.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The arched area upstairs reminds me of the office for The Onyx Club in Boardwalk Empire.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Went again today with others who dug it. The reuben is as tasty/zesty as I've had at Katz/NYC but not as stacked. Will try the pizza next time, hope is as good as original UMKC Pizza 51 (they own the place). They are working on a happy hour thing. Will reiterate - perhaps best new place downtown in a while.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

earthling wrote:Went again today with others who dug it. The reuben is as tasty/zesty as I've had at Katz/NYC but not as stacked. Will try the pizza next time, hope is as good as original UMKC Pizza 51 (they own the place). They are working on a happy hour thing. Will reiterate - perhaps best new place downtown in a while.
Can confirm pizza is delicious. Long-time fan of the UMKC location, downtown is just as good.

I will say I had the ham and cheese sandwich the other night and it wasn't as good as I'd hoped. But it was serviceable. It just didn't hold up next to the Milwaukee-style Reuben...or aforementioned pizza.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Been twice for food....pretty solid both times. Need to try the pizza.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

I stopped by on Friday, really enjoyed the reuben. Even the lowly pickle tasted better here than most other places.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

We went over for lunch today. It was my second trip there. The first time I'd gotten the meatball sub. Solid, good bread, maybe too much marinara. But a good sandwich. This time I tried the pastrami. I think they left the sandwich on the pass too long because by the time I got it, the pastrami ends were the consistency of jerky and the mustard had soaked through the bread. And the mustard! Ow! The mustard was so strong and applied so heavily that it overpowered everything else. There was also swiss cheese and arugla on the sandwich, but damn if I could taste them. I saw a lot of people ordering the ruben, so I'll have to give that a try next time.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Yes, this place has quickly become one of my favorite places to hang out. Very laid back, cool people, solid food, good beer. It's really just a very comfortable place, and quite beautiful on top of that. I will always have a special place in my heart for this building after it so narrowly missed the wrecking ball.

Haven't tried the bakery yet, but if you are at the deli and in the mood for a sweet treat, they will get you something from next door if you ask. Saw someone else do that once.
Volker Dad
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Volker Dad »

Man, I really love this place. Went after work on Friday for happy hour and had a great time. Really great space day or night. I’ve been for lunch a couple times now too. I usually get the pizza, because it’s exactly my style, and a great price. You only need one slice, they’re huge.

It’s good for them that I work so close. I can see myself going often.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Great rueben. Pastrami was flavorful and fresh and I like the zing on the mustard. Potato salad is a bit bland. Very reasonable prices and good service and a great ambience.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

has anyone mentioned their happy hour includes draft tallgrass?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Was there Friday, but alas for lunch and had to go back to work. The servings are ginourmous and the vibe is perfect. I'll be back for the tallgrass.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

DaveKCMO wrote:has anyone mentioned their happy hour includes draft tallgrass?
I can't not get the Pub Ale.