Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by bspecht »

1800 Baltimore for sale, looks to anticipate same uses (ground retail + office + a penthouse unit). Worked in building back in the day, lots of nostalgia in the brochure. https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1800-Ba ... /30833905/
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Always liked this building, but I think it would be better as housing. It always seemed half empty (not sure if it is).
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Seems like a decent price. At six stories, surely people will pay a little over $250k for a quarter-floor apartment with parking and access to a covered garage.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

That price tho. Eye watering.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Midtownkid wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:51 pm Always liked this building, but I think it would be better as housing. It always seemed half empty (not sure if it is).
Very real. I'm told it might be positioned as live/work or small office condos.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

bspecht wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:07 am
bspecht wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:25 pm
bspecht wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:13 pm

Land is under contract, proponent anticipates a call for development proposals. Lawyer representing Emprise Bank (Wichita-based) appeared in support and to state their "great interest in making a large investment in this block." #bankroads

CPC denied blight designation. I'd recommend people watch the discussion to gauge the current temperature of the CPC. https://www.youtube.com/live/w8mvIM0iU44?t=2015
Today, another laugh of incentive policy & development understanding from Council/reps in KCMO! Impressive how difficult this city makes things – requiring developers go through hoop after hoop (more and more financially), while having zero comprehension of their own.

Still passes NPD w/o advance, Council next week. Patterson Hazley votes against says she agrees w/ CPC's interpretation of blight.

Kathleen Pointer in attendance and spoke after being brought up by the lawyer Jerry Riffel (longtime RE attorney).

Emprise Bank plans to renovate the Farm to Table Bread building, "start looking at a denser program for the rest of the lot."

PIEA plan/blight designation passed Council today.
from incentive but for analysis:

the Bank has indicated that they do not have any
definite plans for the northern lots, but they are evaluating whether these lots have any potential use for a mixed-use development.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

langosta wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:32 pm
bspecht wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:07 am PIEA plan/blight designation passed Council today.

definite plans for the northern lots, but they are evaluating whether these lots have any potential use for a mixed-use development.
From the bank's presentation:
Phase I of the Project includes the new Missouri headquarters of the Emprise Bank, partial renovation of the warehouse on Lots 509 and 510, interim parking improvements on Lots 510, 511, and 512; and making some exterior improvements to secure the warehouse on Lots 513, 514, and 515.

Phase II of the Project will be future planned development which will replace these interim improvements on Lots 509-515.Phase II of the Project is now being explored by Emprise Bank and others and will be proposed future development projects under the approved Plan. The objectives will include greater density as is permitted by the DX-15 zoning classification for the Property and the objectives of the City Area Plan and Streetcar Corridor. In the short term, the Bank will do these interim improvements, which will make the entire area more attractive for dense commercial development. The Bank is in active discussion with developers for potential high-density mixed-use development for the Phase II Project.

Unfortunately, the Project area has significant existing blight that in the short term may make dense redevelopment difficult to obtain. For example, the former Bob Jones Shoe Company is unoccupied and in bad condition to the immediate east of the Project area. Also, the deteriorated surface parking lot east of Bob Jones on the east side of Grand Boulevard is an entire square block which has not been redeveloped for a long period.
In Phase II, Emprise hopes to partner with a developer to explore high-density, mixed-use development on the north end of the parcel. The Kansas City, Missouri Zoning and Development Code currently contemplates a Floor Area Ratio (referred to as FAR, which determines density) for this parcel at 15.0, and development on the north end will be geared toward high-density development pushing towards this number.

A bit of a design change, as well. They look to be keeping the back of the warehouse, shifting the surface parking north on to the future development site... Seems like a win.
CrossroadsUrbanApts
Ambassador

Post by CrossroadsUrbanApts »

Helix Architecture relocating from 1629 Walnut to a Helzberg-owned building on 18th Street:

https://helixus.com/helix-architecture- ... ls-design/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

CrossroadsUrbanApts wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:44 pm Helix Architecture relocating from 1629 Walnut to a Helzberg-owned building on 18th Street:

https://helixus.com/helix-architecture- ... ls-design/
Good move for them. That alley behind them has been quite the challenge.
CrossroadsUrbanApts
Ambassador

Post by CrossroadsUrbanApts »

That alley has been a challenge for a while but seems like it has only gotten worse, along with the gas station on Grand.

Is there any movement on any of Brad Nicholson's parking lots across Walnut Street? I guess for a long-time there were rumors of an office deal on the site but I assume with commercial office demand being so low, he'll likely just keep them as parking lots for the foreseeable future. It's a shame.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

CrossroadsUrbanApts wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:33 am Is there any movement on any of Brad Nicholson's parking lots across Walnut Street? I guess for a long-time there were rumors of an office deal on the site but I assume with commercial office demand being so low, he'll likely just keep them as parking lots for the foreseeable future. It's a shame.
I don't think anything has progressed with those lots, but the intention to do something is still there. He's done a good job incrementally shifting properties, rather than dropping billion dollar bombs on us.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

I don’t think he has the capabilities to do anything in his own. He needs to sell
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

langosta wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:28 pm I don’t think he has the capabilities to do anything in his own. He needs to sell
He pulled off TWA and 1800 Baltimore, but yeah nothing new construction except the TWA garage.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I've chatted with Brad a few times. Nice man who wishes he did more, but felt satisfied in the things he did get done. I got the impression that he's willing to partner with developers on building on his parking lots, but was never actually told that fact by him. It was just an impression.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Couple new places coming in looks like

Cosmo Buger-Arrow Dart Club - 1813 Locust
Anjin - 1708 Oak (old Howards)
Kon Tiki Room - 1922 Baltimore (think this was previously posted)
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

nice. looks like Anjin is maybe owned by the Antler Room folks? that bodes well.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

bspecht wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:30 pm
langosta wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:32 pm
bspecht wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:07 am PIEA plan/blight designation passed Council today.

From the bank's presentation:
Phase I of the Project includes the new Missouri headquarters of the Emprise Bank, partial renovation of the warehouse on Lots 509 and 510, interim parking improvements on Lots 510, 511, and 512; and making some exterior improvements to secure the warehouse on Lots 513, 514, and 515.

Phase II of the Project will be future planned development which will replace these interim improvements on Lots 509-515.Phase II of the Project is now being explored by Emprise Bank and others and will be proposed future development projects under the approved Plan. The objectives will include greater density as is permitted by the DX-15 zoning classification for the Property and the objectives of the City Area Plan and Streetcar Corridor. In the short term, the Bank will do these interim improvements, which will make the entire area more attractive for dense commercial development. The Bank is in active discussion with developers for potential high-density mixed-use development for the Phase II Project.

Unfortunately, the Project area has significant existing blight that in the short term may make dense redevelopment difficult to obtain. For example, the former Bob Jones Shoe Company is unoccupied and in bad condition to the immediate east of the Project area. Also, the deteriorated surface parking lot east of Bob Jones on the east side of Grand Boulevard is an entire square block which has not been redeveloped for a long period.
In Phase II, Emprise hopes to partner with a developer to explore high-density, mixed-use development on the north end of the parcel. The Kansas City, Missouri Zoning and Development Code currently contemplates a Floor Area Ratio (referred to as FAR, which determines density) for this parcel at 15.0, and development on the north end will be geared toward high-density development pushing towards this number.

A bit of a design change, as well. They look to be keeping the back of the warehouse, shifting the surface parking north on to the future development site... Seems like a win.
Very cool!
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Letter to KCMO from PIEA states that Bob Jones is included in potential dense mixed use development being studied by Emprise.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

langosta wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 pm Letter to KCMO from PIEA states that Bob Jones is included in potential dense mixed use development being studied by Emprise.
What are the boundaries of this study area?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm
langosta wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 pm Letter to KCMO from PIEA states that Bob Jones is included in potential dense mixed use development being studied by Emprise.
What are the boundaries of this study area?
Based off of agendas and other materials I think it’s what price owned on that block + what freight house guy owned