Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Westport

Post by Midtownkid »

Westport Café is the right vibe for Westport. It's also one of my favorite restaurants. That along with 303 and the 'French Quarter' places on Main are all good 'grown-up' places to have in Westport. Seems like there used to be more shopping, wish Ale House could go back to being a music store. The vintage stores opening/expanding in East Westport are a plus.

Yes, give P+L the collage party designation and let Westport keep developing as a hipster destination (what are they calling 'hipsters' this decade?)
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

I think there's also a shift in alcohol consumption in general. There are always those that want to be "ragin drunk and havin a good time," but there has been a shift in the ways that people consume alcohol. Younger crowds (OMG I can't believe I said that) are more conscious of being exposed online and therefore try not to get to the level of stupidity that I would've associated with my 20's and even into my 30's. Ps this is all anecdotal and I do think there is some truth to it. Just my $.02 Hope everyone is having a good day!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

With westport being notable for its connection to the santa fe trail and civil war battle AND being the oldest part of the city in a way, it seems like there could be more history elements to play up here
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

smh wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:02 amEnd 3am licenses?
They don't issue those anymore but they can't take them away.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

taxi wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:54 pm
Oh that is interesting. Do you know roughly when that began, I had no idea but I think it is a good idea. As I get (slightly) older I increasingly realize that the adage "nothing good happens after midnight (or 2am or whatever)" is true. Those last couple of hours before close really make the difference between a good time and a raging drunk time in my observation.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

smh wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:25 am
Oh that is interesting. Do you know roughly when that began, I had no idea but I think it is a good idea. As I get (slightly) older I increasingly realize that the adage "nothing good happens after midnight (or 2am or whatever)" is true. Those last couple of hours before close really make the difference between a good time and a raging drunk time in my observation.
I'm no good at recalling dates, but it has been at least 10 years and probably longer. And you're right. If I close down Caddyshack, I know it was a bad idea.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

taxi wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:29 am
smh wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:25 am
I'm no good at recalling dates, but it has been at least 10 years and probably longer. And you're right. If I close down Caddyshack, I know it was a bad idea.
Haha, at least I can put some tasty 'za and popcorn on top of my multiple pitchers of PBR?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Pro tip: go light on the sauce and extra crispy for a superior pizza experience there. Also, they are one of the few joints that serve fresh jalapenos on their pizzas.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Alehouse shut down because it went for the quick cash and not the long play. They reformatted the music and tried to be a bottle service type nightclub opposed the original idea of a great sports and beer bar. They've had too many tavern disturbances, shootings and other forms of violence, including chairs being thrown off the roof last weekend to afford insurance anymore. They possibly lost their liquor license due to that last situation but if we're being honest, they had to close down. Had they tried to pivot and change the music format, there would have been pushback claiming they don't want certain people as customers anymore. Classic tale we've seen over and over in this market.

Fountain House shut down for good a few weeks back too. Turns out you don't make a lot of money when everyone is rollin' and not spending.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:11 pm Alehouse shut down because it went for the quick cash and not the long play. They reformatted the music and tried to be a bottle service type nightclub opposed the original idea of a great sports and beer bar. They've had too many tavern disturbances, shootings and other forms of violence, including chairs being thrown off the roof last weekend to afford insurance anymore.
In trashy nashville that's nbd!
Fountain House shut down for good a few weeks back too. Turns out you don't make a lot of money when everyone is rollin' and not spending.
they also had a huge ownership rift tear it apart.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:39 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:11 pm Alehouse shut down because it went for the quick cash and not the long play. They reformatted the music and tried to be a bottle service type nightclub opposed the original idea of a great sports and beer bar. They've had too many tavern disturbances, shootings and other forms of violence, including chairs being thrown off the roof last weekend to afford insurance anymore.
In trashy nashville that's nbd!
they also had a huge ownership rift tear it apart.
I met with the ownership group during the design phase, I ran. Bad vibes and felt the tension.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:11 pm Alehouse shut down because it went for the quick cash and not the long play. They reformatted the music and tried to be a bottle service type nightclub opposed the original idea of a great sports and beer bar. They've had too many tavern disturbances, shootings and other forms of violence, including chairs being thrown off the roof last weekend to afford insurance anymore. They possibly lost their liquor license due to that last situation but if we're being honest, they had to close down. Had they tried to pivot and change the music format, there would have been pushback claiming they don't want certain people as customers anymore. Classic tale we've seen over and over in this market.

I had heard this as well. I imagine they were in big trouble once that shooting ending in a homicide happened a few years ago. There was violence after that but never reported because nobody died. The chair throwing thing sounds like the last straw and explains why they closed abruptly. I loved how they had posts and stuff on their bar for a UFC event this past Saturday but closed before that because of "inflation"

That's a great location can't imagine it being closed long. Between them & Bridgers done Westport got a little safer now if they can just kick out Throwback.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Metro wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:34 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:11 pm Alehouse shut down because it went for the quick cash and not the long play. They reformatted the music and tried to be a bottle service type nightclub opposed the original idea of a great sports and beer bar. They've had too many tavern disturbances, shootings and other forms of violence, including chairs being thrown off the roof last weekend to afford insurance anymore. They possibly lost their liquor license due to that last situation but if we're being honest, they had to close down. Had they tried to pivot and change the music format, there would have been pushback claiming they don't want certain people as customers anymore. Classic tale we've seen over and over in this market.

I had heard this as well. I imagine they were in big trouble once that shooting ending in a homicide happened a few years ago. There was violence after that but never reported because nobody died. The chair throwing thing sounds like the last straw and explains why they closed abruptly. I loved how they had posts and stuff on their bar for a UFC event this past Saturday but closed before that because of "inflation"

That's a great location can't imagine it being closed long. Between them & Bridgers done Westport got a little safer now if they can just kick out Throwback.
Throwback is still going? Wow, I haven't heard anything about that place in a long time.

Westport has always drawn the college crowd that PNL doesn't get due to the pricing. Brett Alred has mastered the college bar scene, so hopefully he doesn't buy this location and turn it into yet another generic, dollar drink concept.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Johnny Kaws aka Bridgers has announced they've permanently closed their Westport and Waldo locations. Hopefully the Allerds pull out of Westport completely so we can get some cool places.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Metro wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:37 pm Johnny Kaws aka Bridgers has announced they've permanently closed their Westport and Waldo locations. Hopefully the Allerds pull out of Westport completely so we can get some cool places.
What happened?
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

langosta wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:21 pm
Metro wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:37 pm Johnny Kaws aka Bridgers has announced they've permanently closed their Westport and Waldo locations. Hopefully the Allerds pull out of Westport completely so we can get some cool places.
What happened?
Not too sure. I know Johnny Kaws aka Bridgers closed a few months ago they announced some sort of remodel with no re-opening date. I have theories about the Westport location but this wouldn't explain the Wornall location closure.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

I think we have pretty good proof on Ale Houses closure being the activities that went on there IE the cost of security and insurance being too high. I know Bridgers had some stuff to down not nearly as bad as Ale Houses. I can't help but think of this is security cost/insurance/city cracking down kind of thing. However this wouldn't explain the Wornall location closure. To my knowledge there wasn't many if any issues at that location.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

My guess is the owners made money in their investment and were put off by rising costs & the fact that if they wanted to continue to make money it would take more time & energy on their part. Pure speculation on my part. But bars & restaurants are riddled with history of owners loving the fact they are making money and living in the spotlight but eventually that phase fades away & you are left with a choice of work hard to continue your success or walk away with your earnings. Nothing wrong either way IMO.
CrossroadsUrbanApts
Ambassador

Post by CrossroadsUrbanApts »

I believe the Wornall location is just changing concepts (Waldo Bar + Rec). Same owner as before. Not sure about Westport but might be same story (re-branding).