OFFICIAL: H&R Block HQ

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: OFFICIAL: H&R Block HQ

Post by beautyfromashes »

^^ Yes, agree with this. The Light towers are nice but I really wouldn’t call them”luxury” in any normal city sense. Drawing this ultra-high end resident is about more than status as a city. It brings jobs. I think this is one reason for the Royals wanting to relocate downtown. I think I saw that the Shermans have a 3L rental.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

People with wealth in KC that want high rise living have traditionally lived on the Plaza in condominiums, not rental. I have thought tearing down the Quality Hill tower next to the River Club and replacing it with a very high end condominium might appeal to those wanting exclusivity.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

*The Bloch brothers are both dead. Richard died a long time ago, the trustees of his wife Annette (also deceased) are selling the fancy apartment on the Plaza. They mostly lived in the Palm Springs area, and I assume their heirs will continue there.

Henry's wife pre-deceased him. He continued to live on Wenonga Terrace in Mission Hills until his death about 5 years ago. His heirs also live in Mission Hills.

The company will likely remain in Kansas City, because it has multiple lines of business and many local executives.
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

Slightly off-topic, but St. Louis peeps, what's the story here:

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/stat ... 5613439455
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

UMKCroo wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:49 pm Slightly off-topic, but St. Louis peeps, what's the story here:

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/stat ... 5613439455
In short, SomeraRoad bought it previously. Worked on a redevelopment plan with Advantes Group (a small local developer). Ended up getting incentives lined up for a mixed-use development. Clock apparently ran out. Building went up for auction again. No takers. Went up again, sold to a smaller northeastern firm. God knows what happens next.

The building’s large floor plates mean apartments will be long and narrow. Office space has zero demand in downtown St. Louis. AT&T Tower is the hardest building to redevelop in Downtown St. Louis. Railway Exchange might be a block size, but it’s easier to redevelopment that time comes.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

H&R Block's open floors are explained, at least in part, by its hybrid workplace model. The company in March 2021 announced a mandate for corporate employees to work in-person three days a week. However, its executive team later reversed course after staff voiced a preference for remote work. H&R Block's teams now set their own office attendance requirements
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... place.html