Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

langosta wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:55 am The city manager was asked if there will be another stadium vote this year. He said there just may not be a vote again. IMHO came off to me as: “this moving forward isn’t a done deal. We are trying but it may not advance. We will try”
100% not a done deal.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:57 am
langosta wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:55 am The city manager was asked if there will be another stadium vote this year. He said there just may not be a vote again. IMHO came off to me as: “this moving forward isn’t a done deal. We are trying but it may not advance. We will try”
100% not a done deal.
Yea so his comment isn’t that this doesn’t need a vote. His comments contextually was that it may not even get that far.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

langosta wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:00 am
DColeKC wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:57 am
100% not a done deal.
Yea so his comment isn’t that this doesn’t need a vote. His comments contextually was that it may not even get that far.
No, that's not what he is implying. Over a year ago I told this forum that the city is prepared to go about this without the need for a public vote. Wonder who told me this?

It may not get to the point of the city council actually considering it, the Royals are getting reach arounds right now from other interested people.
mourban
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mourban »

I think there’s no way Eastern Jack ever votes for the stadium to move which was supported by a map of voting results that’s been published but I can’t find. KCMO is probably going to have to go it alone if they want the ballpark downtown.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Regarding the silence from all but one city council member about the Jackson County vote and the downtown stadium, I think a majority of City Council would vote to approve it. Not sure what the funding plan would be, but that’s what talks are for. I could see Jonathan Duncan and Melissa Robinson being firm “no” votes. Let’s see how this plays out over the next few months.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Would that include some sort of support for the Chiefs, or is the city prepared to give up the Chiefs to Kansas or some other nearby location?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Sani wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:40 pm Would that include some sort of support for the Chiefs, or is the city prepared to give up the Chiefs to Kansas or some other nearby location?
I think Jackson County will work with the Chiefs to stay at Arrowhead. If they stay at the 3/8th cent they won’t need any city help at all. They keep the full amount, the state and ownership make up the rest.

Chiefs have more time than the Royals.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:02 pm
UMKCroo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:39 pm https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... 12165.html

"Kansas City Manager Brian Platt said Monday on radio station KCUR that the city is in talks with both teams and will take the lead on future negotiations, displacing Jackson County government from that role. Platt suggested that the next deal for a downtown ballpark might not require a public vote and said he still favors the East Crossroads site because of its proximity to other downtown attractions and the streetcar."
Letsss gooooo!!!
What a disgusting comment. I'll bet you spent the past several years calling people election deniers too.
mourban
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mourban »

Sani wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:40 pm Would that include some sort of support for the Chiefs, or is the city prepared to give up the Chiefs to Kansas or some other nearby location?
I think Jackson County will try to help the Chiefs stay but I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up in KS and all the Eastern Jack voters now have a 4x commute time.

I think KCMO goes it alone and gets the Royals downtown somewhere.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

This would be the time where I hope NKC/Clay actually comes in and bids for the Chiefs. Now THAT would be golden site.
mourban
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mourban »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:21 pm This would be the time where I hope NKC/Clay actually comes in and bids for the Chiefs. Now THAT would be golden site.
Is it? Is there enough space? Unlike the Royals they will need a lot of parking to keep the tailgate atmosphere
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:39 am Gonna get ugly if the city does this without a vote after losing the last vote so bad. Better have small business impacted on board
Yup if they try this I hope those lawsuits against racist Platt are successful
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

mourban wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:28 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:21 pm This would be the time where I hope NKC/Clay actually comes in and bids for the Chiefs. Now THAT would be golden site.
Is it? Is there enough space? Unlike the Royals they will need a lot of parking to keep the tailgate atmosphere
An All-county Missouri side vote that puts the Royals downtown and the Chiefs north of the River would be great! It could spur better transportation to the airport by providing an intermediary stop.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Metro wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:55 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:39 am Gonna get ugly if the city does this without a vote after losing the last vote so bad. Better have small business impacted on board
lol what?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I have no clue but I’m sure they can figure it out!

Would be a picture perfect view of downtown, get way more visitors downtown, and yes spur transit up north too. There’s really no downside.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:48 pm
I have no clue but I’m sure they can figure it out!

Would be a picture perfect view of downtown, get way more visitors downtown, and yes spur transit up north too. There’s really no downside.
Access from the region to the site, and lack of supporting infrastructure are two pretty glaring downsides
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

If memory is correct the only way the city itself can do this without taxpayer support is if it already has bonding capacity approved by the voters that hasn't been used at this time. And it would be backed by the city's general fund.
If revenue bonds are utilized there would have to be a revenue stream identified that would pay for the bonds, principal and interest. And likely the city guarantee bond payments. At this time I don't remember how P&L was built with revenue bonds but they were guaranteed by the city's general fund.
Is the Port Authority the only city agency authorized to issue bonds? And they would have to be revenue bonds likely backed by stadium rent payments.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

An interesting article on the braves situation in Atlanta.
ttps://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/expert-dis ... 2d12&ei=18
"The county uses various revenue sources, including a nightly hotel room fee and a rental car tax, to fund its $16.4 million portion of the more than $22.4 million debt service annually. The Atlanta Braves pay an additional $6.1 million per year in rent.
In a release that touted "the meteoric rise of property values," Cobb officials said the county used less than $1.8 million from the general fund for the stadium's debt service, below the initial $6.4 million projection. Cobb officials said Battery businesses paid $2.6 million in property taxes last year.
"The amount of property tax paid by the Braves and Battery Atlanta complex more than exceeded the amount of general fund property taxes contributed to the debt service," Cobb County Chief Financial Officer Bill Volckmann said, according to the release.
However, J.C. Bradbury, a professor of economics, finance and quantitative analysis at Kennesaw State University, told The Center Square he is curious why anyone thinks property tax payments exceeding general fund property tax contributions to the debt service is a relevant metric.
"This is not remotely interesting and tells us nothing about the debt service going away," Bradbury said in an email, adding that Cobb's obligation is roughly $18 million annually when other contributions, such as capital maintenance and traffic management are added to the debt service and the $6.1 million in rent paid by the Braves is subtracted.
Bradbury said his studies have found roughly $3 million in added tax revenue flows to Cobb's government to the opening of Truist Park and The Battery. The stadium generates a deficit of roughly $15 million annually, he said."
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:01 pm
lol what?
Dudes a racist

https://www.kcur.org/news/2024-03-14/ka ... pportunity
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Metro wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:48 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:01 pm

lol what?
Dudes a racist

https://www.kcur.org/news/2024-03-14/ka ... pportunity
Accusations are simply accusations until proven in a court of law. You can label Platt a racist all you want, but until it’s proven, it’s just a claim. Platt has done more in his position than any other City Manager in recent history and it’s clear he’s gotten under the skin of quite a few people. But he’s here to stay and get shit done (as he should). Sorry that it upsets you, but you clearly make comments on this forum meant to get a response. Congrats, you earned it with this one.