Help davydd find the best breaded Pork Tenderloin in KC!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Help davydd find the best breaded Pork Tenderloin in KC!

Post by voltopt »

"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
towncow
Pad site
Pad site

Post by towncow »

Be sure to get the tender at Kitty's "Everything and hot." It's the best I've had since a "Shopper" at Ross' Grill.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

towncow wrote: Be sure to get the tender at Kitty's "Everything and hot." It's the best I've had since a "Shopper" at Ross' Grill.
Sold.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Went to Christy's Tasty Queen in KCK on Saturday for lunch. Damn good tenderloin. It's just west of 55th and Metropolitan Ave. I won't say it's better than Kitty's - as I don't care too much for the "it's bigger than your head" style, but in that category, this sandwich wins. It's huge and very tender. Hand-breaded every day. Tasted great - even if it was a little too big.

A friend of mine sent this article - not sure where/when it's from....

Christy?s Tasty Queen
More tenderloin than bun

By 11 a.m. Victoria Fieber has already breaded 100 pork loins. Dips into a concoction of milk and water alternate with her fist-pounding the meat into three types of breading.

For 25 years, this has been the morning ritual at Christy?s Tasty Queen in Kansas City, Kan.

?We hand-bread them every single day,? says owner Marla Christy. ?It?s quite a process, but that?s the reason they?re so good ? we put a lot of TLC into them.?

Sure, the restaurant offers more than 70 other items, including chili dogs, fried cauliflower and blackberry shakes. But it?s the tenderloins, Christy says, that put her small business on the map.

Or, more accurately, all over the map.

?We ship them all over,? she says, citing Pennsylvania and Hawaii as examples. Then there?s the woman who sends a package to Texas for her son, his only request for birthdays and Christmas.

These regular customers ? families, employees at nearby Turner Elementary School and industrial workers from the nearby Kansas 32 corridor ? are what Christy says keep the eatery in business. Even when shops close or kids grow up, regulars make their way back, placing orders to eat in or take home.

Larry Fowler of Kansas City, Kan., is one such loyalist.

?I used to skip school to come here,? he recalls. ?I?ve tried many a tenderloin in Kansas City and out of town.?

Christy?s, he says, are the best. And apparently the biggest.

?I have a picture at home in my garage of the biggest one I?ve had,? Fowler says.

Working the line, Marla Christy says she has looked to no avail for bigger buns. As it stands now, the tenderloins often overflow more than 3 inches ? on either side of the bun.

The ?secret? breading recipe came from a previous owner of the first restaurant Marla and her husband, Lowell, owned in their hometown, Windsor, Mo. For eight years while he worked full time and she part time in Kansas City, their parents ran that business, a drive-in. The Christys brought their three children down every weekend, both to relieve their folks and to serve the bustling lake traffic.

"Everyone kept asking me, ?Why don?t you bring these to Kansas City??#8194;? Marla remembers. So when a KCK neighbor put Carter?s Tasty Queen up for sale in 1983, the couple jumped at the chance to earn the money to put their kids through college.

Their children are long grown and have jobs of their own now ? ?I think we burned them out,? Marla jokes at the possibility one might take over ? but the two still forfeit any vacation longer than a three-day weekend to keep the place running.

It?s a good thing, too, because by 11:30 a.m., a line stretches outside the entryway and onto the sidewalk, just under the ?KC?s Best Tenderloin? sign.

If you go: Mondays, the special is a pork tenderloin sandwich and fries for $6.20.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.