Big 12 Football 2009

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Big 12 Football 2009

Post by jlbomega »

Since National Signing Day is tomorrow I figured we can go ahead and move on to talking about next season.  This is definately a strange year for Mizzou.  Most years we have our whole class wrapped up before signing day.  Tomorrow it looks like there are five guys we are waiting for an official word on. 

Although Sheldon Richardson has been a Mizzou commit for a long time Miami is still a threat and will sign his letter tomorrow at noon.  Only a week or so after sending Mizzou fans into a frenzy there is speculation that Ronnie Wingo is wavering on his choice of Arkansas after his younger cousin Marquise Hil committed to Mizzou on his Junior Day visit last weekend.  Current Arkansas commit Lance Ray visited Mizzou last weekend and is considering changing his mind.  It would be a big pick up at WR in this class.  Chris Freeman is an enormous OT prospect who will be choosing between Mizzou, Colorado, and Wisconsin.  Finally, Ty Phillips was committed to Mizzou but he may be headed to Illiniois along with other East St. Louis stars Craig Appleton and Terry Hawthorne.  Rumors are abound about Appleton switching to Wisconsin and Hawthorne visited OU last weekend and Mizzou a few weeks ago. 

What is everyone else hearing about their classes?  Does KSU really have a shot with Bryce Brown?  Does KU have anyone that is sitting on the fence? 
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Big 12 Football 2009

Post by Maitre D »

KU has signed 23 so they've got space for only 1 or 2 guys if they are 4*/impactful.    Has some interest from an Ohio guy (SS Bradley McDougald) busted for smoking pot and a CA JuCO guy (DE Dequin Evans) if they want to come late.

FB recruiting is generally lame though since so many are flat-busts.  I prefer to focus on returning starters for each team.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

The whole recruiting thing is a bit of a joke.. but it is fun to watch the whole process play out then track the careers of those you signed. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Maitre D wrote: KU has signed 23 so they've got space for only 1 or 2 guys if they are 4*/impactful.    Has some interest from an Ohio guy (SS Bradley McDougald) busted for smoking pot and a CA JuCO guy (DE Dequin Evans) if they want to come late.
Former Ohio State commit, Brad McDougald signed his national letter with KU today.  We have come a long way when we are managing to steal guys away from the Buckeyes. 
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Um....did you read my part about the pot possession?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

When did you start caring about ku athletes and pot usage?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Former Ohio State commit, Brad McDougald signed his national letter with KU today.  We have come a long way when we are managing to steal guys away from the Buckeyes. 
Good for you... I know the loss of Talib has been hurting the local pot dealers business  :lol:
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

jlbomega wrote: Good for you... I know the loss of Talib has been hurting the local pot dealers business  :lol:
I don't think that industry has ever suffered in Lawrence, Ks. 
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote: When did you start caring about ku athletes and pot usage?
Somebody is really dense today.

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: When did you start caring about ku athletes and pot usage?
I think you're referring to me.  I never have cared, nor will I ever care if KU players smoke pot.  If they get caught, oh well.  But I wouldn't want us to turn away a potential game-changer because he might get caught smoking pot some day.  Talib managed to squeak by without any problems, and if Mangino would have not recruited him, we might not have won the Orange Bowl.  Heck, we might not have even been playing in the Orange Bowl.  So I welcome this recruit with open arms.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

???  So you don't care about the pot?  I know its hard to author your thoughts into words, maybe find a picture to help you describe your emotions???

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote: ???  So you don't care about the pot?  I know its hard to author your thoughts into words, maybe find a picture to help you describe your emotions???
It's hard to say who this comment is directed at.  If towards me, the only point I made about "pot" on this thread involved Ohio State dropping him from their recruitment.  That is why he's at Kansas now.   I offered zero judgment either way on pot. 

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Sorry quote function isn't available on mobile. Yes I was directing to md. I get it now. I agree with both you and metro.

jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

Maitre D wrote: It's hard to say who this comment is directed at.   If towards me, the only point I made about "pot" on this thread involved Ohio State dropping him from their recruitment.  That is why he's at Kansas now.   I offered zero judgment either way on pot. 
Knowing that Mangino ingnores positive drug tests must have sealed the deal on this kid  :P
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

jlbomega wrote: Knowing that Mangino ingnores positive drug tests must have sealed the deal on this kid  :P
Hey be happy - looks like you guys are going to indeed pull sheldon richardson out of the fire. 
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

fullmer

Post by Maitre D »

jlbomega wrote: Knowing that Mangino ingnores positive drug tests must have sealed the deal on this kid  :P

FULLMER CUP
Final 2008 Scoreboard
Rank  School  Points  +/-  Details 

1st  Alabama Crimson Tide  28  --  Double Armed Robbery, Public Intox, Selling Nose Candy 
2nd  Missouri Tigers  22  --  Various Drug Offenses, Vandalizing Cars, Drunk Gun Waving, Typical underaged college student, Hit and run with a mailbox 

http://www.sportsargumentwiki.com/index ... r_Cup_2008

jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Hey be happy - looks like you guys are going to indeed pull sheldon richardson out of the fire. 
I am happy.  We retained Richardson and picked up Chris Freeman today as well.  The only thing from keeping this class from being "great" IMO is the absense of a big time playmaker at WR and another RB.  I would have thought with Maclin leaving an elite WR prospect would have found Mizzou appealing.  Very strong class on defense and OL. 
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

jlbomega wrote: I am happy.  We retained Richardson and picked up Chris Freeman today as well.  The only thing from keeping this class from being "great" IMO is the absense of a big time playmaker at WR and another RB.  I would have thought with Maclin leaving an elite WR prospect would have found Mizzou appealing.  Very strong class on defense and OL. 
A very good day, indeed.

One more stud interior DL prospect and/or JUCO transfer at that position would have topped it off, IMO.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

I wouldn't worry too terribly much about WR, jlb.  Losing Maclin, Saunders, and Goldsmith on the 2-deep will sting a little but there is still Woodland, Egnew, and McGaffie who all redshirted along with Clark, Stricker, La'Damian Washington, and possibly Moe coming in as true Frosh.  Plus Missouri has already landed Marquise Hill (projected at WR) and appears to be the early leaders for Keaston Terry and Marcus Lucas.  If Justin McKay decides to stay close to home you have to like Missouri's odds on him as much as anybody - though he will be a late commit wherever he goes.

Landing Freeman was a real big get for Cornell Ford.  His name popped up in the fall as an outside probability and he disappeared off of the radar until two weeks ago when he took the official.  Missouri fans have Tennessee to thank for firing Fulmer to open the door for Freeman to come to Mizzou - and he has tremendous upside to boot.  I'm personally very pleased with the class, despite the absence of Hawthorne, Wingo, Ball, or Scheelhaase.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

I'm not too concerned about losing Wingo.  He has Chris Brooks and Lamark Brown written all over him.  Freak of an athlete without a real position.  Sheelhasse may turn out to be a great QB but we got the one we wanted in Dalton so I'll trust the staff with that choice.  I think missing out on Hawthorne and Ball are the big disappointments.  It also sucks that Darris Ford will be going JUCO for sure.  Now we just need to hope Sheldon gets his ACT score. 

What made this class big (despite what Rivals.com ranks it) is we got much better in the trenches on both sides of the ball.  Freeman, Meiners, Richardson, Burnette, and Phillips (placed Darris Ford a top OG prospect at JUCO) should really fill out our line in coming years.  Add this to Hoch and the two Smith's from the last class and this look good.  We need strong play in the trenches if we are ever actually going to compete with OU and UT. 
Last edited by jlbomega on Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.