Big 12 Football 2009

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Big 12 Football 2009

Post by eomaha.com »

Gil is 20-30 in the MAC.  So, is he expecting a winning record in the Big 12?
Gil took a team which had one only 8 wins in it's first 5 seasons of FBS football, considered the worst team in FBS... and led them to a MAC championship and bowl game in just his 3rd season.

With his roots in Texas (oh, and it can't hurt that he's the only black head coach in the Big 12... heck, how many are there in ALL of D1??)... he's going to give KU a recruiting boost as well.
Last edited by eomaha.com on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Nice to see that we're back to talking smack over the 2007 Orange Bowl.

:lol:
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

kcmetro wrote: MU and KU are the same program.  Only MU fans think there's a difference.  But everyone outside the delusional MU fanbase knows this fact.
Comic (beaker) gold.  Kansas has never been to a bowl game in more than two successive years.  Mizzou has accomplished that feat numerous times throughout its history, and will be going to its fifth-straight game this year.

If Kansas fans are looking for football peers in the Big XII, I think Iowa State is a much better fit.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

I'm surprised no one has noted that Gill is bringing Chuck Long along as offensive coordinator and Carl Torbush (former Carolina Panther head coach) to head up the defense... a couple of pretty substantial assistant coaches.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

funny to hear NU fan talk up Turner but he wasn't good enough to coach NU.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

As Osborne has said... NU needed a major defensive makeover at the time, and there's no doubt thought was put to it, because Gill and Osborne are like best buds (Osborne was Gill's best man at his wedding no less)... although another year or two from now, we may be wondering if a more balance minded head coach may have been a better approach.  No denying what the defense has done for us though.  I thought the defense would buy the offense some time... but I had no idea it would be to such a degree!
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

eomaha.com wrote: I'm surprised no one has noted that Gill is bringing Chuck Long along as offensive coordinator and Carl Torbush (former Carolina Panther head coach) to head up the defense... a couple of pretty substantial assistant coaches.

I already pointed that out, but KCP didn't want to hear it.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

MoMan wrote: Comic (beaker) gold.  Kansas has never been to a bowl game in more than two successive years.  Mizzou has accomplished that feat numerous times throughout its history, and will be going to its fifth-straight game this year.

If Kansas fans are looking for football peers in the Big XII, I think Iowa State is a much better fit.

ISU and Mizzou are pretty equal as well.
Last edited by kcmetro on Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

eomaha.com wrote: I'm surprised no one has noted that Gill is bringing Chuck Long along as offensive coordinator and Carl Torbush (former Carolina Panther head coach) to head up the defense... a couple of pretty substantial assistant coaches.
Yea, I just heard that and I'm impressed. If nothing he'll have good support staff.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

kcmetro wrote: ISU and Mizzou are pretty equal as well.
Wrong yet again.

Mizzou has been to 26 bowl games, including trips to the Sugar, Orange, Fiesta, Cotton, and Gator bowls.  The bottom five programs in the Big XII in terms of bowl appearances, and the major bowls they've played in:

Oklahoma St. : 19 (Sugar, Fiesta, Cotton, Gator)
Baylor : 16 (Sugar, Orange, Cotton, Gator)
Kansas St. : 13 (Fiesta, Cotton)
Kansas : 12 (Orange)
Iowa St. : 9 (None)
Last edited by MoMan on Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

eomaha.com wrote:
(oh, and it can't hurt that he's the only black head coach in the Big 12... heck, how many are there in ALL of D1??)... he's going to give KU a recruiting boost as well.
This logic is, well... absurd.  A recent case study shows as much. 

And I'm curious to see how Chuck Long works out for you.  Obviously his performance at San Diego State speaks for itself.  On the flip side, his time in Norman speaks for itself. 
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

MoMan wrote: Wrong yet again.

Mizzou has been to 26 bowl games, including trips to the Sugar, Orange, Fiesta, Cotton, and Gator bowls.  The bottom five programs in the Big XII in terms of bowl appearances, and the major bowls they've played in:

Oklahoma St. : 19 (Sugar, Fiesta, Cotton, Gator)
Baylor : 16 (Sugar, Orange, Cotton, Gator)
Kansas St. : 13 (Fiesta, Cotton)
Kansas : 12 (Orange)
Iowa St. : 9 (None)
All those big time bowl games Mizzou went to were over 40 years ago.  Nice try though.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

This logic is, well... absurd.  A recent case study shows as much. 
As many examples have demonstrated... a coach needs to be more than a good recruiter, but... you're a good recruiter... and a good coach as well, you may have something.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KC-wildcat wrote: This logic is, well... absurd.  A recent case study shows as much. 
I still find Prince's recruiting struggles rather inexplicable - I always figured that would be where he would be strongest, given his well-spoke charisma.  He seemed like he should have no problem charming parents.  I guess it must have been his lack of recruiting ties in the region - a problem that is actually a significant strength for Gill. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

this is going to be awesome.  Nice run y'all had...
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

kcmetro wrote: All those big time bowl games Mizzou went to were over 40 years ago.  Nice try though.
And the one year in recent history that Kansas went to a "big time" bowl, KU (a) didn't defeat a single opponent on its schedule that finished the year with a winning record, and (b) wound up ranked lower than Mizzou in all final polls.

By all objective standards, Kansas and Iowa State are the 2 Big XII teams with the least impressive football histories.  They are very much peers.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: this is going to be awesome.  Nice run y'all had...
I won't lie Gill wasn't my first choice - I was hoping for Tuberville.  Gill is probably the riskiest choice, but I also think he potentially has the most upside.  Should see fairly straight away just how recruits react to him.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I don't have any problem admitting MU has had a better football history than KU. 26 bowls vs. 12 is quite significant. But, outside of the rivalry, the difference in perception isn't all that significant. Certainly not to the point where Harbaugh - or anyone - would really consider it that much better of a job.

I just like to hear Mizzou fans like Michael running around screaming for some sort of respect because they played in the 1972 Fiesta Bowl or pulled a 8:30am slot at The Cotton Bowl. If KCPowercat wasn't so singularly obsessed with KU, he would call them out for needing validation.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

KCPowercat wrote: funny to hear NU fan talk up Turner but he wasn't good enough to coach NU.
This NU fan wishes Osborne had hired Gill instead of Pelini.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

WSPanic wrote: I don't have any problem admitting MU has had a better football history than KU. 26 bowls vs. 12 is quite significant. But, outside of the rivalry, the difference in perception isn't all that significant. Certainly not to the point where Harbaugh - or anyone - would really consider it that much better of a job.

I just like to hear Mizzou fans like Michael running around screaming for some sort of respect because they played in the 1972 Fiesta Bowl or pulled a 8:30am slot at The Cotton Bowl. If KCPowercat wasn't so singularly obsessed with KU, he would call them out for needing validation.
Post of the day!