West Bottoms Redevelopment

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Why Can't the West Bottoms Be Redeveloped....?

Post by bobbyhawks »

Midtownkid wrote: I agree

Haven't been to the R Bar in a while, but had a positive experience when I went.  Sorry to hear it might be losing it.
One thing they will always have going for them, if they aren't completely insane, is that it is just a beautiful bar.  That corner has a ton of potential to be a really cool area and to go the direction that Martini corner opted against.  If only I had millions of dollars eating a hole in my pocket...
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

bobbyhawks wrote: That corner has a ton of potential to be a really cool area and to go the direction that Martini corner opted against.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, but I'm guessing you mean more appealing to hipsters than douchebags...is that right? I don't mean to use such loaded terms, and I don't intend them here with judgment, but I couldn't quickly think of a more economical expression.

I don't know Martini Corner well, or its history.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

AJoD wrote: I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, but I'm guessing you mean more appealing to hipsters than douchebags...is that right? I don't mean to use such loaded terms, and I don't intend them here with judgment, but I couldn't quickly think of a more economical expression.

I don't know Martini Corner well, or its history.
Not trying to throw labels out there like that.  Martini Corner really started before I went out in KC, so I can't totally speak for its origins, but it seems that it was once a bit edgier and unique than it is now.  Adding Sol, a sports bar, multiple versions of the same failing dance club, and a cocktail bar seemed to be a general blanket of appeal rather than a more specific aim.  I still go there every now and again, and while the crowd is definitely more Polos and loafers than it once was, it brings in a decent mix of people.

But that corner of the West Bottoms could go in a number of different directions now.  With a few more galleries, cafes, bars, creative businesses, or whatever, it could be a place that attracts creative-minded young people of all walks (not just the maligned hipsters).  If it adds something like a sports bar (coupled with the downgrade in food quality at R Bar), it could attract an entirely different crowd.  But due to its location, I think it would more likely find success appealing to those looking to patronise creative businesses in a unique cluster.  Just my opinion, but I'd be happy with any businesses that wanted to invest in the area.  Outside of Westport, it seems that "hipsters" or those looking to escape the sports bar atmosphere don't have many options as far as a district or concentrated area of bars.  You'll have a Chez Charlie or a Zoo Bar here and there, but there doesn't really seem to be a great non-Westport alternative that I am aware of to drink in a row of unique bars/restaurants.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I hope R Bar survives this minor conceptual change.  I love the atmosphere, never thought the food was particularly great, but it was certainly inspired.  It will be interesting to see what the new menu looks like.

A couple thoughts on the West Bottoms -

The little remaining strip near the Livestock Exchange building could really be something special.  I think everyone is thinking "too big" with regards to the Bottoms.  It's huge, and much of the land will either remain vacant or industrial.  But that little 2 block zone containing R Bar/Royale/Golden Ox has a number of open storefronts, heaps of character, is near the AR, and would make for a nice little "stockyards district" with the addition of another couple restaurants/bars or even vintage shops, etc, like you see over by 12th st.  Keep a light western theme going, as KC really does nothing to celebrate our heritage as an early western, rough and tumble city and real cowtown.  And we should!

And I would love to see Kemper repurposed into an artists colony/mixed use space someday, perhaps including cheap studio space, apartments, street art installations, a skate park, tiny pop-up restaurants, etc.  How cool would that be?
are we spinning free?
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Damn, I haven't participated in KCRag for two, three years and my perspective is fresh... the 'douchebags and hipsters' theme seems new.  Kansas Citians still don't like each other.  I think that attitude manifests in the speakeasy-craze. 
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Thanks, bobbyhawks, missed that last week.

Re: "hipsters and douchebags", I don't think that terminology or the implied judgments are at all unique to Kansas City.

I also don't think those are particularly useful terms to describe any people that I actually know, but they are caricatures that are commonly used in the discourse about places and culture, probably because people (I for certain in this case) are lazy in their writing.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Deal.
brotherdarrell
Pad site
Pad site

Post by brotherdarrell »

I know a lot douchebag hipsters.....the worst kind
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Antique shop is opening Friday in West Bottoms
The Huffs will have a soft opening for their Restoration Emporium starting at 8:30 this morning. The retail operation — at 1300 Hickory St. in the West Bottoms — specializes in the “urban farmhouse style.” Many items are repurposed — old barn pieces become new wine racks, benches or tables; old pulleys become new light fixtures; old pallets become wall art; an old oven becomes a mini-bar; and old beehive boxes become end tables.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Just noticed on Good JuJu's website that they're moving sometime after their February sale - anyone have details?
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

I wonder if the West Bottoms will ever develop some legal residences.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

From what I understand, legit residencies are cost-prohibitive.
Once you enter the condo market, sellers can't dupe buyers on the fact of the location, which is a functional industrial district. Trains, by-products, aromas, transients, trash.
The Crossroads & River Market are light-industrial, central, easier sells.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

For this reason WB should be attractive to artists who fear they would be priced/taxed out of their home/gallery as what happened in Xroads for some. WB will probably have makeshift individually created 'live in your workspace' housing for a while. It's true industrial loft living. While I'd like to see Xroads infilled first it would be from developers who develop multiunit housing. Won't be surprising if WB becomes a secondary gallery district that is truly organically developed by individuals who actually live in their workspace - and there are a few already.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

West Bottoms Seen As 3 Distinctive Development Areas
Kansas City’s West Bottoms, the historic livestock district that now has a mixed bag of uses, should be viewed as three districts with unique development opportunities, according to a panel of national experts.

The team, sponsored by the Washington-based Urban Land Institute and invited to the city by Mayor Sly James, divided the sprawling riverfront area west of downtown into three areas: the industrial district on the north, the historic district in the center and the stockyard district on the south.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/13/33 ... rylink=cpy
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Would rather see more focus on infill development in Xroads and River Market before the City focuses on WB but any downtown focus is good, even if dispersed.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

It's not either/or, WB is at a different stage, but needs things moving forward nonetheless. Defining zoning is the first step and takes nothing away from other areas.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The Star’s editorial | Igniting a brighter future for the West Bottoms
Here’s one unusual idea: Install a temporary tower and let people ride a zip line from downtown Kansas City down into the heart of the West Bottoms. Sounds pretty exciting, actually.
No, no it doesn't.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Shades of Clay?