West Bottoms Redevelopment

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Why Can't the West Bottoms Be Redeveloped....?

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

What about the basic infrastructure, sewers etc. Is there any police or fire facilities nearby?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm not a fan of residential down there. Divides downtown population even more.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

925 Wyoming isn't even a very good spot in the bottoms. All the development of note is around 12th St.

I don't get the project.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Just wanted to mention how part of the second phase of the streetcar has a proposal for a line going down 12th street to Genessee. I have always had doubts about the West Bottoms becoming a thriving neighborhood unless a train connected it to downtown again. If this streetcar line actually gets built, I predict many great things happening in the next 10-15 years. This could be the hippest neighborhood in the city easy.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Pardon the ignorance, but I assume the Crossroads is pretty much developed as far as converting old buildings into apartments/condos? If so, I can really see the West Bottoms taking off. Maybe a park would make it feel more livable too.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

longviewmo wrote:Pardon the ignorance, but I assume the Crossroads is pretty much developed as far as converting old buildings into apartments/condos? If so, I can really see the West Bottoms taking off. Maybe a park would make it feel more livable too.
Definitely. The West Bottoms is full of some of the absolute coolest buildings in Kansas City. I think a lot of people secretly would love to live down there, unfortunately right now it isn't very livable to many. Only the most daring and off-the-grid can handle it. Infrastructure improvements, a streetcar, and sure a small park would do wonders for turning it into a more livable area for many. That being said, I don't see the Bottoms ever really being for anyone but the edgy. And that there is the potential. With a little bit of help it could be very Lower East Side. It just needs more density and a good connection to downtown.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

longviewmo wrote:Pardon the ignorance, but I assume the Crossroads is pretty much developed as far as converting old buildings into apartments/condos? If so, I can really see the West Bottoms taking off. Maybe a park would make it feel more livable too.
Condo size, sure

But walk through the area near the Kauffman center and there plenty to redevelop in the crossroads
DST has a big piece of land at 18th and broadway for example
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I found a comprehensive design and redevelopment plan done by the Kansas City Design Center students for the West Bottoms. The design creates a pedestrian bridge over the rail corridor, a public lawn, and "urban room" under the 12th Street Viaduct.

http://studio.kcdesigncenter.org/urbanv ... sive-plan/

http://studio.kcdesigncenter.org/urbanv ... oric-core/

Stockyards District and Kemper Amphitheatre

http://studio.kcdesigncenter.org/urbanv ... -district/

James Street redevelopment along the Kansas River.

http://studio.kcdesigncenter.org/urbanvision/james-st/
Last edited by FangKC on Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I'm not sure that an oversized patch of grass is an asset in an area that already has a lot of vacant lots. I do love the idea of using the lower deck of the Viaduct, though.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Really interesting stuff Fang. That group has some creative ideas, though I prefer letting the bottoms develop more naturally. Infrastructure improvements would go a long way.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, the City needs to work on making the infastructure better. There needs to be landscaping done along streets, and more street lamps and various types of street furniture put in.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Great ideas. I'd love to see the bottom level of 12th street repurposed like this, but one needs to consider how that space would actually be used. I don't know how to tactfully say it, but any bench or public area here will be largely patronized by the homeless. This could be a big barrier to future development, both organic and large scale, since the perception of this area is in many ways defined by its abundance of homeless camps. There is a huge contingent by the railroad tracks, and I'm not aware of anything that will change this anytime soon (economy, housing, etc.). Various services drop off meals nearby; there is lots and lots of space to wander; it's nearby downtown; it's in a place they are less likely to get hassled; and the gas stations are close by; so they aren't really going to leave anytime soon. Any plan to redevelop the area would have to be coupled with some form of outreach to the homeless in the area. I was happy to see that portion of the bridge open, though since it has opened, I can see it really isn't necessary as a car passage. It is a really cool bike ride, though, so I'd love to see this type of usage.

The outdoor amphitheater proposal is also pretty great. I get a little peaved when I think about the soccer field, since I still think SKC should have built down here. Perhaps their upgrade to a 40k person park in 2020 will be built in the WB.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Would rather see such ideas in Xroads. Keep WB raw. Would rather see indie onsey/twosey upgrades that maintain WB with true industrial warehouse living - freight elevators to large raw shell living spaces, not carved up by developers with hallways and refined spaces. Xroads and River Market already have this. WB could have a really cool raw industrial vibe for those who want that. KC is lucky to have 3 different warehouse loft districts surrounding downtown. Don't do all three the same. Would rather see big ticket developers in RM/Xroads and leave WB to indie smaller players who 'create' makeshift raw living spaces.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

earthling wrote:Would rather see such ideas in Xroads. Keep WB raw. Would rather see indie onsey/twosey upgrades that maintain WB with true industrial warehouse living - freight elevators to large raw shell living spaces, not carved up by developers with hallways and refined spaces. Xroads and River Market already have this. WB could have a really cool raw industrial vibe for those who want that. KC is lucky to have 3 different warehouse loft districts surrounding downtown. Don't do all three the same. Would rather see big ticket developers in RM/Xroads and leave WB to indie smaller players who 'create' makeshift raw living spaces.

Indie smaller players don't have the ability to take on 200,000 square foot buildings, which is a significant portion of the WB landscape.

I get the desire for a development of raw, simple space and I too hope that developers will emerge that "get" this ethic, but much will be driven by codes for life safety within a change of use for these properties.

Keep reminding people of the need to respect the character of these builidings, but prepare yourself for a hybrid at best.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

loftguy wrote: Indie smaller players don't have the ability to take on 200,000 square foot buildings, which is a significant portion of the WB landscape.
individually, sure. but as a co-op things are different. I'm thinking startups, art groups, light workshops and the like.

look at Bottoms Up Antiques as a model for what can be done in the bottoms. They've expanded way past their initial size one area at a time.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Developer Reeder envisions apartment project in West Bottoms
The former Weld Wheel Industries Inc. property in the West Bottoms sold, with its new owner eyeing a 200-unit apartment project there.

Interstate Underground Warehouse LLC, a storage and warehouse company owned by developer Wayne Reeder’s family, bought the 405,660-square-foot, four-building complex at Ninth and Mulberry streets in the West Bottoms on Friday.
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... 2013-02-12
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Worker killed in building collapse in West Bottoms

http://www.kmbc.com/news/kansas-city/em ... z2RdWmz1gp
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I have heard that a soccer field complex is pretty close to coming to fruition down in the west bottoms with some of Bill Haw's property. Not sure if this is on the KCK side or MO side. I only mention that b/c it could be where they are trying to put the USMNT training facility.