2012 Election

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: 2012 Election

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCMax wrote:I don't see what the big deal is. Rush Limbaugh, like him or not, is a famous Missourian, just like Bob Berdella or James Earl Ray.

Famous or Infamous?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Well, it is just my opinion. But I think that such an honor should certainly go first to many on the list that are notable and accomplished well before Limbaugh. I was surprised how many really accomplished people have been completely ignored.

Secondly, I think it is prudent to extend the honor only to deceased people since there is less chance that in the future they will do something to embarrass the state in some manner, i.e. O.J. Simpson, Bernie Madoff, or Phil Spector.

Additionally, Limbaugh has made racist, sexist, and homophobic comments regularly on his broadcasts. He is a divisive figure, and probably is offensive to more people than listen to him. It would seem to me that it might not be wise to honor someone who many Missourians find offensive. Especially in light of the fact that he will probably say more offensive things in the future.

These honors should probably go to individuals that draw consensus and wide support from most Missourians.

And if we are just going on the fame aspect of it, then Ray and Faye Copeland, Jesse James, Bloody Bill Anderson, Calamity Jane, and the Younger brothers would be included.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

FangKC wrote:Well, it is just my opinion. But I think that such an honor should certainly go first to many on the list that are notable and accomplished well before Limbaugh. I was surprised how many really accomplished people have been completely ignored.

Secondly, I think it is prudent to extend the honor only to deceased people since there is less chance that in the future they will do something to embarrass the state in some manner, i.e. O.J. Simpson, Bernie Madoff, or Phil Spector.

Additionally, Limbaugh has made racist, sexist, and homophobic comments regularly on his broadcasts. He is a divisive figure, and probably is offensive to more people than listen to him. It would seem to me that it might not be wise to honor someone who many Missourians find offensive. Especially in light of the fact that he will probably say more offensive things in the future.

These honors should probably go to individuals that draw consensus and wide support from most Missourians.

And if we are just going on the fame aspect of it, then Ray and Faye Copeland, Jesse James, Bloody Bill Anderson, Calamity Jane, and the Younger brothers would be included.
Accomplishment over fame. Are they going to induct whichever numbfuck Missourian has the most youtube views?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Mo. Democrats Balk At Rush Limbaugh Honor

Lawmakers Sign Letter Calling To Rescind 'Hall Of Famous Missourians' Bust
A letter signed by 48 House Democrats said Limbaugh is unworthy for the honor because of a "controversial career." Democrats specifically cited Limbaugh's recent comments describing a female law student involved in the national debate about insurance for contraception as a "slut" and "prostitute." The Democrats said that honoring the talk show host now could be seen as an unspoken endorsement of his "misogynistic attitudes." Limbaugh has apologized for his comments.
http://www.kmbc.com/politics/30622466/d ... z1oQrDBw00
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

grovester wrote:
FangKC wrote:Well, it is just my opinion. But I think that such an honor should certainly go first to many on the list that are notable and accomplished well before Limbaugh. I was surprised how many really accomplished people have been completely ignored.

Accomplishment over fame. Are they going to induct whichever numbfuck Missourian has the most youtube views?
After all, Rush Limbaugh is just some numbfuck with a microphone. Accomplished very little.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

KC-wildcat wrote: Accomplished very little.
Except making a ton of money.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Just like Ken Lay!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote:Just like Ken Lay!
Uh, not really. The two have practically nothing in common.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
KC-wildcat wrote: Accomplished very little.
Except making a ton of money.
I was being sarcastic.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

KC-wildcat wrote: I was being sarcastic.
So?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Kit Bond endorses Romney.

Gingrich campaign chief hints Newt may drop out if he does not win Alabama and Mississippi.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Romney will appear at rally at William Jewell in Liberty tonight at 5, so catch the Mittmentum.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Santorum wins AL and MS, Romney finishes third in both states. Yet Santorum only gains four delegates on Romney for the day (Romney takes Hawaii!)

Pressure is increasing on Gingrich to drop out and make it a two-man race. Gingrich is supposedly talking to Rick Perry in the hopes of having a Gingrich/Perry ticket to invigorate voters.

Next up: Puerto Rico, Illinois, and caucuses in Missouri.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote:Santorum wins AL and MS, Romney finishes third in both states. Yet Santorum only gains four delegates on Romney for the day (Romney takes Hawaii!)

Pressure is increasing on Gingrich to drop out and make it a two-man race. Gingrich is supposedly talking to Rick Perry in the hopes of having a Gingrich/Perry ticket to invigorate voters.

If I were Romney, I would think losing Alabama and Mississippi would look good on my resume. He can paint himself as more of a MOR moderate in the general election without being saddled with claims he was elected by the extreme right of the party which will be an albatross for Santorum.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The more contested this gets, the more I wonder if Palin will show up at the convention and say, "Screw these guys, nominate me!"
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If anyone has seen "Game Change" on HBO, she won't be nominated. :D

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/sca ... ess-minute
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

If life imitated art, Stephen Colbert would be elected...
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Highlander wrote:
KCMax wrote:Santorum wins AL and MS, Romney finishes third in both states. Yet Santorum only gains four delegates on Romney for the day (Romney takes Hawaii!)

If I were Romney, I would think losing Alabama and Mississippi would look good on my resume. He can paint himself as more of a MOR moderate in the general election without being saddled with claims he was elected by the extreme right of the party which will be an albatross for Santorum.
But he might lose Alabama and Mississippi to Obama! :lol:

It will be interesting to see Romney pivot to the center once he wraps up the nomination. I suspect that is where he is much more comfortable, and he can gain traction....but will he begin contradicting statements he's already made? Its crazy, but he's actually been much to the right of even Gingrich and Santorum on things like immigration during this primary - will he have to backtrack?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Looks like Santorum has dropped out of the primary race.