Whole Foods mixed-use project @ 51/Oak

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Whole Foods mixed-use project @ 51/Oak

Post by lock+load »

A big ass loading dock is not the only option for deliveries to the store. Thousands of stores find a way to restock without a back in loading dock.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I don't think it should front Oak at all. The apartments and office should front oak. IMO they will likely put a 51st entrance as well as a parking lot entrance. This would seem to be an easy thing to design in. As many have said this is common in their stores anyways.
chaglang wrote:Am I right in thinking they have to put the docks close to Oak, as trucks are banned from Brookside because it's a boulevard? Is Oak wide enough to handle trucks that size?
Oak is large enough (at that point of oak) to handle trucks turning into the lot. I would imagine the loading docks will be to the south of the complex- not facing Oak.

That is a HUGE parcel. plenty of room not to cause extra hassle from the trucks. There will be an increase in car traffic, but there are TONS of under utilized roads in the area that will be able to handle it. Traffic congestion, as always, will not be a problem in KC.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This is a good example of an urban grocery with residential apartment over the store.

Another one.

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Thanks, Fang. That is precisely what I hope to see on the corner of 51st & Oak. Hopefully they come through.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

You will be disappointed I fear. Whole Foods will front BksBlvd.
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

FangKC wrote:This is a good example of an urban grocery with residential apartment over the store.

Another one.

Great example, Fang. I lived two blocks from that Safeway for two years and walked there and back for the majority of my groceries. By putting the primary entrance on the corner of 5th & L, with an auxiliary entrance on 5th that was locked after a certain hour, it exemplified a truly pedestrian-friendly design.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Just bought a house on Oak a few blocks from this development and couldn't be more excited. Sure there will be some added traffic but I don't mind. Between that and the Google fiber announcement today, what better way to say "Welcome back to KC!"
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCN wrote:Just bought a house on Oak a few blocks from this development and couldn't be more excited. Sure there will be some added traffic but I don't mind. Between that and the Google fiber announcement today, what better way to say "Welcome back to KC!"
welcome back to KC and the forum!
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Thanks! It's great to be back
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I figured out the reason why this project won't be ON Brookside Blvd but rather will be set back from it.

because the KCATA owns the strip that parallels the street. it's a banked rail right of way.

we do not want to chop up a ~7 mile transit path through the heart of the city just to put a single store fronting a different road
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Right, I don't think it was ever an issue as to whether it should front Brookside. I think the issue is more that it should front 51st and have rear parking with an entrance off of 51st or Oak. Seems that the main Ragger issues are the curb cut along Brookside, the store facing Brookside, and the parking in front--facing Brookside.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

A friend heard at the Volker NA meeting tonight that the project is being resubmitted with entrances on 51st because of the Trolley Trail rhubarb. WF has not bought into the 51st St entry plan yet.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

chaglang wrote:A friend heard at the Volker NA meeting tonight that the project is being resubmitted with entrances on 51st because of the Trolley Trail rhubarb. WF has not bought into the 51st St entry plan yet.
I hate to sidetrack, but isn't the Volker NA meeting tomorrow?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

nice.

I hope they go well beyond the bike parking requirement too.
between students + trail they could get away with spending less on a parking lot than a comparable project if they plan right.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

kcjak wrote:
chaglang wrote:A friend heard at the Volker NA meeting tonight that the project is being resubmitted with entrances on 51st because of the Trolley Trail rhubarb. WF has not bought into the 51st St entry plan yet.
I hate to sidetrack, but isn't the Volker NA meeting tomorrow?
Hmm. A friend was texting me last night with that news, said he was at the meeting.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

chaglang wrote: Hmm. A friend was texting me last night with that news, said he was at the meeting.
Kids today!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This article shows the design of the Whole Foods being built in urban St. Louis in the Central West End.

http://nextstl.com/central-corridor/who ... st-end-and

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

anyone have any intel on this? WF has announced a new store in olathe, but i haven't heard a peep about the oak street store. is the city going to screw this up b/c it can't figure out traffic flow from brookside? are the trolley track goofs going to torpedo this?